chapter one

Gerard cracked his knuckles as he stared at the TV that he had decided ages ago was too bright. The moment he heard the sounds of laughter come from Mikey's room he sighed sadly, turning up the volume of the moderately sized TV higher.

It wasn't that he was annoyed by the laughter, or saddened for that matter. He just simply didn't want to be reminded of the little things he couldn't experience, and maybe that was his own fault, or maybe it was the world's fault.

He hugged himself tightly as he sighed once again. He didn't want to believe it was him, but maybe it was.

Maybe it was his disgustingly messy black hair, or his sickly pale skin, or his gross coloured eyes- or maybe it was his personality. His stupid accent and the nose that's always buried in some comic book, his stupid fucking freakish giggle or shy voice.

His baggy pyjamas hung loosely on his stretch mark-covered-hips, making him seem even skinnier than he actually was, and he exactly wasn't skinny. Or at least he didn't think he was.

No, Gerard Way was just a fat boy with thin lips and oily hair.

He was taken out of his thoughts when he heard creaking from the hallway, signalling someone was walking to the living room. He quickly unwrapped the arm around himself and turned the volume down to a quieter level.

"Gerard, you okay?" Mikey asked cautiously, seeing his brother's state.

He knew that ever since a young age his brother had never had the highest of respect for himself. He'd often heard his brother late at night, whispering obscenely mean things to himself, practically crying himself to sleep, over probably nothing.

Well, nothing in Mikey's eyes.

Gerard nodded sternly at his brother's question, not wanting Mikey to know of his internal battles with himself.

"Okay... We're going to the town to buy some stuff at the grocery store." Mikey said, gesturing to Pete who was standing behind the two brothers, on his phone checking how many Tumblr followers he's gotten in the past two minutes.

Gerard nodded, "Please buy more creamer."

Mikey chuckled at his brother's coffee addiction but nodded nevertheless. Gerard smiled at the two boys before facing back to the TV.

Mikey was about to go back to Pete to get his wallet when he stopped himself. He had to at least try to get Gerard out of the house, if even for 10 minuets.

"Come with us." Mikey said, turning on his heel as he faced his brother's once again. Gerard looked up from his seat on the couch, a confused expression splattered all over his face.

"What?" He asked in a daze.

"Come with us," Mikey repeated, "it'll be fun!" He encouraged.

Gerard only cringed at the thought of being out in public. He was about to decline his brother's surprising offer when Mikey spoke up again.

"I'll take you to the comic book store." He bribed.

Gerard's head immediately snapped up to make eye contact with his brother. Giving him an expression of 'don't joke about that'.

Mikey chuckled before nodding. Gerard immediately got up and ran down the hall of his shared apartment, smiling brightly at Pete who laughed at the boy's expression.

Gerard quickly changed out of his batman attire and put on black sleeve shirt with ratty jean jacket, and he paired it with his skinny jeans. He quickly applied some eyeliner onto his tired eyes.

He looked at his reflection and squeaked at his appearance. His once small smile quickly turned into a small frown as his eyes wracked his body and face.

He looked so gross.

He sighed as his eyes brimmed with tears, he couldn't leave the house like this. Though as he went to take off his jacket he heard Mikey's voice,

"Gee, lets go!"

Gerard took a shaky breath and brushed a hand through his short, black hair. He crept up the stairs and walked to the living room with his head down.

"Lookin' good, Gee." Pete complimented slapping his back, smiling fondly at his boyfriend's brother.

Gerard smiled back shyly going to the kitchen to pick up the ratty sketchbook he absolutely adored. If they were going to the comic book store he knew it would be fun to sketch some of the heroes and villains he found cool.

He quickly walked to the door where Mikey and Pete were waiting for him, smiling when they saw the shy boy bringing his prized sketchbook.

"Let's go." Mikey practically cheered as the three walked out of the Way brother's apartment.

Which was actually payed for by Mikey and Gerard's combined salary. Mikey working at Hot Topic and Gerard selling his paintings on the Internet.

They started walking down the street, on their way to town.