chapter eight

It had been a month.

And it was the best month of Gerard's life. He woke up with a smile almost everyday and didn't think about crying or sleeping for days at a time at all.

And everyone thought it was possibly the greatest thing ever. It had been years since they'd seen Gerard so happy, so normal.

He'd texted Frank almost everyday and frequently met up with him at the bakery, and every time he did he got so many butterflies.

And he hoped Frank felt the same.

He was just making coffee one morning when he heard his phone ringing on the counter top. He picked it up confused, no one called him- well apart from Ray and sometimes Pete.

He then saw the ID read 'Frank🖤' and smiled softly at the mere prospect of the boy. "Hello?"

"Hi, Gerard!" Frank chirped on the other line.

"Hi, Frank." Gerard giggled softly, nearly slapping himself for doing so, "Did you need something?"

Gerard's nerves and overall paranoia were coming out, causing him to hate himself even more. He didn't really want to- or rather couldn't- believe that Frank called him purely out of wanting to talk to the nervous boy, even if that was the case. Ever single time.

"Well I just wanted to ask if you wanted to come hang around the bakery today, my shift is always so boring without you and your cuteness." Frank sighed, smiling through the line.

Gerard felt his stomach flip upside down as his cheeks heated up, "U-uh sure, I'd lo-love to."

"Rad," Frank replied, and Gerard could feel him grinning through the phone. "just come whenever."

"Okay," Gerard smiled, "bye."

"Bye, Gee." And before Gerard could question the nickname, the call was ended. Gerard was beyond confused and annoyingly enough for him... flustered.

After getting over his initial shock he realised he had to get ready to leave. He quickly rushed to his room and opened his closet, searching for something to wear.

He decided on an oversized sweater with cat paws and ears and black skinny jeans with his usual ratty converse. He applied a thin line of eyeliner before smudging it and ruffling his recently washed hair so it looked fluffy.

He grabbed his necessities (which included his sketchbook, wallet, home keys and phone). He clutched his book as he headed back upstairs, going to Mikey's room to tell him he was leaving.

Once Gerard reached his room he knocked gently, hearing Mikey mutter a quiet 'come in'.

"I'm uh g-going to meet up with Frank now.." he said avoiding eye contact.

Mikey nodded slowly, but still incredibly confused. He had heard Gerard talk about (and to) infamous 'Frank', and the two boys had met up various times, but never did Mikey think that this random tattoo littered boy would be able to get his depressive, self repulsive, older brother to not stay in his room everyday, seven nights a week.

"Um- o-okay, you feeling okay, Gee?" He asked, still dazed. And admiring the smile on Gerard's usually frowning lips.

"Yup." Gerard smiled, gently closing the door and skipping down the stairs to the his room. Excited to meet up with the cute punk.