You Need A Break

"James Brother Law Firm, this is Stella Lawson speaking how can I help you?" I answered automatically into the receiver of my desk phone. I quickly took a sticky note to keep up with what the client was saying.

Today was a busy day at the office for me and it was almost time for me to leave and clock out. A bit of overtime didn't scare me, though. Leaving my Chief Partner in the office with so much paperwork didn't sit well with me.

"Ms. Lawson, after this call you're out of here," My Chief Partner, Gracie Rodriguez, said sternly as she pointed towards the door of our office. Her left eyebrow rose in a way to say, 'You're not defying me today, sis.'

I was too engrossed in the call, in fear of missing any single important detail. To get Mrs. Rodriguez off my back I gave her a thumbs up and a toothless grin, signaling that I understood her completely.

Not.

Mrs. Rodriguez meant well though. She was a kick-ass Latina firm partner who was an even more kick-ass mentor to idolize. Her being one of the few senior partners of color on the Board of Directors and I being the only new hired associate that's Black AND a female, we levitated towards each other. Mrs. Rodriguez snatched me up to be her junior associate. She always wanted the best for me and was grooming me to be as great as her one day. Our work was impeccable, and our assignments were flawlessly executed. She admired my attentive nature and confident spirit. And even if I didn't speak a word, my actions spoke louder to balance. The only thing Mrs. Rodriguez worried about was my life outside of being a 'working robot' as she liked to call it.

Being a 2nd year associate at a top law firm in New York had heavier weight when people also found out I was only 24 years old. Being in school was my everything growing up, and how I saw it the quicker I finished school, the quicker I could start my career. With that motto, many things had to be sacrificed; my social life, relationships, spending quality time with my family. And that has yet to change even after settling into my new job. Don't even ask me when was the last time I went on a vacation.

Who has the time? If I ever wanted to be where Mrs. Rodriguez was, I had to be on 100%, 24/7, with no breaks.

"Okay, I'll make sure to get back with you very soon about the drafted contract. Sound good? Great, until then." I finished the call and was ready to grab a stack of other case files until I was whisked away, in a flash, by the back of my rolling chair.

"Ah, Ah, Ah! Nope! I meant what I said Ms. Lawson, you're leaving!" Mrs. Rodriguez rolled me by the back of my chair to the cubbies where we stored our personal items.

"Oh, come on, Mrs. Rodriguez! Literally, I was going to head out after I completed 3/4ths of the stack. I would hate to leave you with all of that," I tried to reason.

"I don't care. You're not staying here until the crack of dawn again. The custodians are always frightened when they see you camped out in the office and it must stop!" She started to grab my tan coat and leather Coach handbag then shoved it in my arms.

"That's the only way I can get peace since my apartment is always noisy! Please at least let me take some files home with me to go over them this weekend?"

"No can do. You won't have time as I've been told." Mrs. Rodriguez folded her arm and smirked at me suspiciously.

"Oh, come on- wait. What do you mean, I won't have time?" As soon as my words left, she was already pushing me past the door frame.

"Now, now chica. Just go home, relax, and start packing."

"What did you just say, Mrs. Rodriguez-"

"Goodbye, for now, my sweet songbird. I'll see you when you return. Take plenty of photos, sí?" She wiggled her fingers at me and shut the door in my face.