Trust

"Oh, my double goodness! We've got her! This is so cool! Stella, this is groundbreaking. The case can go on! What's next? Oh my... does she have to meet back with Jason and Matthew? Stella, what if Jason doesn't want her on his case. OH SHOOT, STELLA WHAT IF-" Khelani went on and on once we both got in her car.

"Khelani?" I stopped pulling my seat belt midway.

"Yeah"

"Shut yo' trap," I looked at her as I finally buckled my seat belt.

"But! -"

"Breath, Khelani. Drive off before Lili gets suspicious," I looked up and saw Lisa standing behind her glass window, waving us goodbye. I gave a forced smile back and waved.

"Oh. You're right," she whispered and waved back. We finally left the driveway and made our way down to the main road. I was just sitting there, calculating what I just heard from Lili.

I secretly had my phone recording our whole conversation. Lili agreed to meeting with me a bit later to discuss her part in the case. I had to get her story straight and give her mock questions the other party's attorney team could bring her way. She was our only witness so far; probably the only witness we will get to agree to doing this crazy task. It was risky thinking that I could build this case around solely Lili, but she was as strong of a witness I was going to get.

Conning? Cocaine? Prostitution? Money Laundering? Gangbanging? Shit, I got this wrapped up in a pretty bow.

But Lili has got to stay solid at all costs. I don't know how she communicates with the Momoas, but I doubt she'd tell them I found her. That'd give her one-way ticket to the grave if she admitted that.

"Well Stella?" Khelani took me out of my head space. I looked her way and said, "huh?"

"Is Jason going to know? About everything? About Dominic and Lisa?"

"Dominic, yes. I've got to let him know that he didn't kill that boy. Lisa? I'm still thinking on that one," I bit my thumb nail as I stared out the window.

"But she wants to see him? Is that even possible? I think Jason would most definitely not want to go forward with the case. He hasn't seen her since he left for the Coast Guard..."

"Bingo. That's why I'm not sure telling Jason and Matthew about our only star witness is his long-lost wife. That would really put me in the shit can."

"Shit can?"

"Something my mama says. And being in the shit can is what we don't want. We need to continue going forward, not backwards. Maybe I can hold off them knowing about Lisa until after our appeal hearing. We'll see."

"So, you're really going to do it. Taking down the Momoas... during your vacation? You're a badass, Stella!" Khelani gushed and excitedly honked her horn.

"Ssshh!! Chill out, chile! I appreciate the hype but don't gas my head up until after we win this case!"

"Okay, you're right! Keep cool and collected until we get to witness you wiping the smirk off of Eddie's face! High five!" Khelani took one hand off the wheel and held it up to me. I laughed and gave her a high five. We turned up the radio, rolled the windows down, and sang our hearts out until we made it back to Kailua.

~        

Once I made it back to the resort, I went straight for the bungalow. I entered through the front door and immediately made my way to the back. I walked into Matthew reading a manual on a lawnmower. I frightened him a bit with my entrance, since he jumped a bit.

"Whew Stella, you sure do know how to make a startling entrance. How was your day, doll? I hope you got everything situated before," He took off his reading glasses and beckoned me to sit across from him at the table.