That Shit Hurted

The next day, I went back to the cafe without Matthew. Yesterday we covered some good groundwork for the case with the appropriate documentation. So far, I had statements for back payments and receipts from the bank stating that Eddie was doing all he could to pay the property mortgage. However, the bank mysterious overturned the claim and stated that Matthew was unfit to fulfill his payments in a timely manner.

Which was probably orchestrated by Joseph.

So today my job was to look up the Momoas in any financial crisis or criminal records. There had to be some mess that wasn't cleaned up well enough to put against the family. I was sitting in the same spot as yesterday, but today Khelani was working the counter.

She looked over to me a couple of times, worried and concerned. It was like she wanted to say something yet she didn't know how to approach me.

I felt her eyes deep in the back of my head and I was getting tired of her anxious aura.

"What is it Khelani?" I sighed, not turning to face her direction.

"N-nothing, Stella. Just wiping down the tables-" She said unsure, as she grabbed a couple of napkins from the dispenser and pretended to wipe down the spotless table next to me.

"What's wrong. Come on spit it out," I beckoned her over for her to sit.

"Oh no, I really shouldn't. I mean it's none of my business."

"No, I insist, what's on your mind-."

"Okay well since you asked," she hastily took the seat across from me in the booth and stared straight at my face, "I am a bit... concerned at this whole ordeal I've heard going around. You're helping out Matthew and Jason with the resort? How? You didn't tell me that you were an attorney! What else are you hiding?" She spat out rapidly.

"Whew, word gets around this town fast and it hasn't even been a full 72 hours," I scoffed playfully at her. However, she blushed in embarrassment at her outburst.

"Yeah, you can say that. I mean but why, Stella? You're on vacation and getting involved with the Momoas should be the last thing on your mind here. That family is... dangerous; untouchable even."

"Well, they'll be a petting zoo once I get done with them. I'm not scared of those clowns, Khelani. It's just an old man, his snowflake wife, and his greasy ass son I'm going up against. Not the Corleones or some shit," I went back to typing on my laptop, " Besides if anyone isn't going to stick up for Matthew and Jason back there, then I've got to. How can people just sit back and watch people get slaughtered by the wealthy? What is this Hunger Games?" I drabbled on.

"Right. Well, movie plots aren't going to give you the big picture here, Stella. Your mind is set, but I just hope that you tread carefully and be safe." Khelani bit her lip and got up to tend the register again, leaving me in my thoughts.

I'd never forgotten how frightened Khelani was when we first encounter Eddie. She seemed so shell-shocked as if her blood ran cold. The Momoas extracted fear from everyone, and it could be seen anywhere around this city. Everyone seemed complacent with how things were and didn't question it. How easy it was for me to be harassed in broad daylight, or a man being gunned down in his own venue full of witnesses.

It all sounded too familiar.

"They're not winning this time, Stella. I be damned," I pep talked myself into continuing my research. I heard the bell ring from the front door and noticed that Khelani's father walked in with his arms full of cardboard boxes.

"Start helping me put this shipment in the back, Khelani," He called to Khelani after he flashed me a kind smile.  He made his way to the back of the counter to the kitchen while Khelani slid out of his way.