A Pimp Named Slickback Pt. 1

6 AM Appeal Day

"Whewww okay... How do I look?" I smoothed my skirt and adjusted my peplum top.

"Like a pimp named Slickback," Mo' held back a chuckled, "DERRICK, COME GET THIS LUGGAGE FOR ME PLEASE!" I looked down and noticed that I was indeed in all purple.

I rolled my eyes at her funny little comment and continued to get ready. I found my pearl necklace and matching earrings.

"Seriously Mo'. You better have packed my other suits to bring over here, too. The appeal is in 3 hours and my pits haven't stopped sweating-"

"Stallion, you never sweat or get nervous. I'm going to need you to get it together-DERRICK! DID YOU HEAR ME!" I heard Derrick yell that he was on his way in the background.

"I wish you'd stop pushing my brother-in-law around like that," I fussed at her.

"Oh, please don't worry about him. He takes control in the bedroom," She winked back. I visually gagged at her crude comment and grabbed my pantyhose.

"TMI, Mo'. And I'm trying to get it together, but the more I think about this case, the more I realize that this is the biggest case I've dealt with in my short career. I heard rumors of mad press following this case because it's that high-profile. Did I make the right decision, Mo'?" I started wobbling on my one foot, as I attempted to get my other leg in the pantyhose.

"Stella," Mo' called towards me. I looked up at her.

"You NEVER second guess your choices, because you are THAT good. Take a chill pill, because you're about to murder them. Don't ask if it's worth it. You already know the answer to that. The answer is living right around you, standing 7 feet tall, and resembles a Hawaiian Tarzan," Mo' rambled on.

"I get it Mo', thanks," I stopped her in her descriptive speech about Jason.

"Good. Now I've got to see what the hell is taking Derrick so long, before we miss this flight. I'll let you know when we're about to land. Smooches! DERRI-" The phone clicked off from Skype, and I was left with my pantyhose halfway up my thighs.

What the hell am I gon' do now.

"Stella it's going to be alright. You're THEE Stella Lawson. The hottest lawyer straight outta' the NYC. You THAT bitch, sis," I spoke into my vanity mirror as I took down my flexi rod curlers. I decided that I needed to let my natural hair breathe after wearing those feed-in braids for as long as I did. Once all of the flexi rods were out, I separated the curls and fluffed out my hair. I modeled in the mirror, making duck-faces.

Twist-out is poppin'. Okay, I got this.

My makeup was simple, yet flawless. I slid my feet into my Nike slides and packed a personal bag for myself, including my heels. I made sure I packed all my own copies of the supporting documents into a briefcase Matthew had loaned to me.  I had a protein bar and a hard-boiled egg for breakfast because of my queasy stomach. I checked my Apple watch and saw that it was almost time for Matthew to pick me up from the cabin.

I trotted downstairs and as soon as I opened the front door, Matthew was parked out front. Once I made it to the truck, I made my way to the very backseat, figuring that Jason would take the passenger's side.

"Good Morning, Matthew! You look great today! I pointed out Matthew's nicely pressed, three-piece grey suit. He gave me a warm smile and patted his pocket hanky.

"Thank you, mea hoʻoili! You look absolutely stunning as well. Ms. Stella Lawson, sophisticated officer of the court! I am truly at awe!" He started bowing his head at me in respect.