Court is in Session Pt. 1

A Week Later...

"So, you mean to tell me you haven't heard not a peep from Eddie and them since then?" I questioned Lili over the phone. I was leaning on my kitchen counter with the house phone glued to my ear. I decided to call Lili the day before the day of trial to check in with her for this last time. I've prepped her to the gods and I've continuously reassured her that what she was about to do would set her free.

"Not a word. It's scary and something's telling me that they know, Stella. I-I mean what if they kill me tonight and I don't show up for court in the morning. They do sick shit like that all the time, Stella," Lisa panicked on the other end of the line.

"Lisa, breathe for me hun. Come on. Inhale. Exhale," I started doing a breathing treatment with her. I heard her reciprocate the breathing exercise with me.

"Good. Are you calm now?" I followed up with saying.

"Yes," She whimpered.

"Okay, good. You will be fine. You're not even at your house. You're at a hotel, close to the police station, if you feel rocky about anything. Okay?"

"Okay. You're right. I'm being overdramatic."

"Are you sure you don't want to speak with Jason before tomorrow? I'm sure it could calm your nerves a bit if you did," I suggested to her. I drummed my nails onto the counter and pulled at the side of my lip.

Of course, I didn't want her talking to my man- I mean Jason. But, if it meant pushing her into going through with this, then so be it.

"No, I told you I've changed my mind. You were right before; I would hate for Jason to back out of this entirely because he knew I was his only shot at winning this. That's something I don't want on my conscience. He'll see me tomorrow," Lisa spoke as if she was trying to convince herself on this one.

"Well remember when you're called to the stand, I have your name on the document as Lisa Bonet. So, Jason won't know it's you until you get on the stand. Are you sure you want him to figure it out that way, Lisa?" I tried giving her another chance at it, but she was adamant on not speaking with Jason until it was absolutely necessary.

Maybe she do care for him like she say.

"Alright then. I trust your judgement. Remember Khelani is picking you up from your hotel at 7 AM sharp. No later. We're expecting a lot from you Lisa, so just get a good night's rest, hun," I reassured her.

"Whose Linda?" Jason breathed into my right ear. I shot around as I felt Jason's strong hands attach to my waist.

"I'll talk to you soon, Linda! Bye!" I panicked and got off the line with her. I didn't hear what Lisa said next because I pressed the dial tone so fast so that Jason didn't hear her voice.

"How much did your nosey ass hear?" I glared at him.

"Is Linda a code name for someone I should know about?" Jason theatrically gasped.

"I'm serious, Jason. What did you hear," I gritted my teeth. Jason raised his hands up in defense.

"Woah there, girl. I just walked in when you said the name. Scout's honor," He crossed his fingers saying that he was telling the truth.

"Okay. Linda is my... boss from home. She's been very vital in helping me get your case together," I lied on the spot. Jason nodded and continued to pet my love handles. His eyes were trained to my waist as he traced the outline of my body, up and down.

"Yeah. Forgot about that tomorrow" He sighed.

"Hey. Look at me," I gripped his chin and made his chocolate eyes meet mine, "Everything's going to go fine. It's planned out and we've got a strong case. Your father is ready than he'll ever be to take the stand. You don't have to worry your pretty head about anything," I twisted a lock of his hair around my finger.