Coffee and Bagels

"Oh, chill-ay!" I gasped as I plopped down on to the sofa in the living room. After I had put up the groceries in the kitchen and changed into comfortable sweats, I decided to sit and analyze the events 30 minutes prior. After Jason had put the truck in park, I instantly hopped out the passenger's side and started gathering my groceries. I would've thought he had enough sense to come out to help me, but per usual, he proved me wrong.

When I started making my way towards the cabin, I glanced behind me and still saw Jason still in the truck, gripping the wheel. I could've gone back and tried to snap him out of his weird trance, but I chose to save my breath and turn away to continue walking. Being cooped up in a silent, un-airconditioned space with a seething bull caused too much anxiety for my liking. I needed to escape quickly from the awkward situation and create some space between us.

I had gotten over the parking lot altercation; it was he who seemed so caught up on it still. The bastards got what they deserved, and then some. Obviously, Jason's instinct to protect and avenge me could not overpower his unspoken hatred of my existence. If he wasn't such a hardass, that stunt he pulled back in the parking lot would've made me go pick out a wedding dress from the nearest David's Bridal store.

If only he wasn't, oh you know...? A dick.

"UGH!" I groaned, rolling myself off the sofa and on to the carpet. As I enjoyed my time on the floor, a shiny flash caught my eye underneath the sofa. I dug my arm under the sofa and maneuvered through the dust bunnies to pick up a silver coin; a medallion necklace, actually. On one side of the coin, there was a roaring lion's head etched on it, while the back of the coin had a quote which read, "ʻe lanakila ka uwē ʻana i ka nāwaliwali."

How peculiar? I'll Google translate it, later.

I shoved the medallion in my pocket and made my way to the back of the cabin. I wanted to see what was hidden in the shed that was not mentioned when I arrived here. I made it to the shed and opened the door to be greeted with a faint cloud of sawdust. I coughed and waved my hand in front of my face. However, I still scavenged the place. I was looking for something specifically- AH HA. Found it!

In the corner of the shed were two electric blue bikes. I wanted to go take a ride to the front of the resort and up the road to connect my laptop at the cafe shop. I needed to see if any emails were sent my way for work. I made the decision to dust off the bike, park it in front of the cabin, and go inside to pack a book bag with my laptop, charger, phone, and some cash. Once I locked the door, I hopped on the bike and started riding my way to the front of the resort.

Once I got closer, I noticed that the truck was empty, which meant that Jason had run off somewhere. My guard was up as I scanned all around the bungalow for his huge stature, but I only found Matthew tending to his flower bed on side of the building. Once he caught me in his sight, he immediately waved me down.

Oh dear, here it goes.

"ke aliʻi wahine Stella! I'm so happy to have run into you. I see you went snooping in the shed. How's the bike riding so far? Does it need any tweaks? More air in the tires?" Matthew instantly started analyzing the bike for any flaws. This man knew how to take care of my every need.

"Oh, don't worry yourself, Matthew, it's fine! I swear you're too good to me!"

"I've got to make sure ke aliʻi wahine will be safe and not fall off her bike and scrape her knees. I'm always here to help, you know. That goes for Jason, as well." Once he said that I saw he raised a knowing eyebrow at me. Of course, Jason must have told his dad about our exciting start to the day.

"I see you've heard about that. I am fine and Jason made sure they were taken care of for disturbing me. I thanked him as much as he accepted," I then whispered, "which wasn't much."