Mona Lisa

"Dominic and I grew up in Colombia all our young lives. But papa's work moved us to the states. Miami, Florida to be exact. Papa was in some shady business and it started taking a toll on my mama. She finally went up and left with me and my brother after papa laid his hands on her. So, she moved us to Hawaii where she thought no one could find us. We were more far North of the island than here. But anyways, we grew up and our mother fell ill. Cancer. She passed after a good fight," Lisa bit the inside of her cheek.

"My apologies," I soberly said. Lisa only nodded then grabbed her own water.

"Yes, well during the time of her treatment we were poor. I was only about 21 and my brother was still so young. We had to come up with so many ways to gain money for us to eat, keep a roof over our heads, and pay for our mother's hospital bills since we had no insurance. It was getting rough; and I was getting desperate. I started working for this strip club and got involved in the wrong crowd. Work sometimes followed me home. The men I groupied with, got a hold of Dominic and started showing him the ropes. They made him a runner quicker than I could bat an eye. I was so pathetic; always high and never paying attention to what was going on under my nose. I could've saved Dom. But my addiction got the best of me. And it didn't get any better after my mama finally passed."

"Word got around and after the funeral, my papa finally showed up. He convinced himself and Dom that he had come found us and was coming back to be the father we missed out on for so long. But I could look through him easily. He so happened to be in Hawaii because he found someone else to supply his cocaine to. He found a more desirable client; last name Momoa. We lucked out when he overheard someone speaking on my mother's death and he found us through that one clue with the help from the Momoas."

"Papa wanted us to come live with him. I was reluctant, but he shut me down after threatening to take Dom away from me. A cracked-up sister could never win full custody in court and I knew that. So, we left with him and moved a bit closer to Kailua, but not quite into town, yet. I never fully got clean with my papa being a supplier. Then Dom started running for papa, but once he turned 18, papa decided to make him a flyer on the front line."

"Flyer?" I asked as I stopped moving my pencil.

"Moving product back and forth between here, the States, and Colombia. I never saw him much after that," tears started to swell in Lisa's eyes again, but she quickly patted her eyes before they fell.

"Lisa, if you need a break, we can stop for a moment." Lisa shook her head vigorously and continued.

"No. We're just about to get to the good part. So, I was with papa one day, helping him move a truck full of cocaine across county lines. That day was the first day I ever stepped foot on the Momoa Plantation. The first day that I met Joseph and little, prodigal Eddie Momoa. Assholes," Lisa scoffed under her breath.

"But they paid very well. Papa was like putty in their hands. He would do anything for them. He would even sell his only daughter for them, too," Lisa sickly smiled, "I was originally promised to Eddie Momoa; an arrogant, dehumanizing child. It was during those times that I hated myself the most. He made me feel like shit; he told me that I wouldn't be worth a damn. And sooner than later, I started to believe him."

Damn. This is getting depressing.

"One day, I was holding down the block, selling and pimping myself out; just like what Eddie instructed me to do. You know it's funny how these men live in luxury and keep up with themselves. But they seem to find whor-ish women to betroth, and STILL keep them whor-ish. Bernadette? She was a prostitute and then a House Mother before she met Joseph. Bernadette was giving Joseph business by having her own girls be doped up on his product. Pathetic. I wouldn't be surprised if she secretly still ran the place. But it was bad for their reputation once they got married, so she supposedly stepped down," Lisa went off on a tangent.