The Weeping Shall Overcome the Weak

"JASON! Slow Down!" I was hopping over ant beds and scurrying through the tall grass in fear of stepping into deep snake burrows. What made this entire situation worse was that it was pitch black outside. To top it all off we were trespassing on private property of the very same people who just held us at gunpoint not too long ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am an adrenaline junkie at heart, but I'm not looking to be held up in a jail cell in a place I'm not from. The police hadn't even come yet and we called them a while ago. Of course, it was because they were guaranteed to take their sweet time coming over.

Jason did not slow down as I asked. He was determined to get us to our destination, even if it meant staying a couple steps ahead of Matthew and I, heaving our shovels above our shoulders.

"I can see them up the hill. Come on, we've got to get there before they notice something's up," Jason started a light jog up the steep hill we were ascending on. I grudgingly did the same until we reached the top of the mound. Poor Matthew was breaking a sweat and lightly heaving behind me.

Once we made it to the top, Jason stood and looked along the plane of beautiful, yellow buds of growing sunflowers. They were almost in season with how young they appeared. Jason was silently gazing at the field, reminiscing about his childhood play sessions that occurred here.

"Jason?" I tried to catch his attention and snap him out of his mojo. We didn't have much time to stand here, "Where do we start? There's so much land-"

"Follow me," He huffed and took a couple paces forward to the center of the field. After a minute or two he stopped in his tracks and took his shovel from off his shoulder. He shoved the helm of it into the dirt with a tap of his foot.

"Start digging," He heaved up his first past of dirt and threw it to the side, taking up a good patch of the innocent sunflower buds.

"Son, hold on, how do you know this is where she wants us to dig?" Matthew hesitated. I nodded in agreement with Matthew because I was just as confused.

"e lanakila ka uwē ʻana i ka nāwaliwali," Jason whispered under his breath.

"What?!" I exclaimed.

"Because I just do! Stop asking questions and just get to digging quick," Jason snapped and dug harder into the soil. I rolled my eyes and looked at Matthew for some support.

Vandalism?! Come on!

Matthew just shrugged his shoulders and started digging with his shovel.

Wow. So, we're really doing this.

I sucked it up and got to work along with Jason and Matthew. Who knew how much time we had until we'd get caught by a pack of sniffing, rabid dogs.

I refuse for this shit to turn into Django.

The gnats were getting out of hand and the chirps of crickets were beating throughout the field. I think this was as awful as the mosquitos by the ditch behind my parents' house. After 20 minutes we were knee deep into the soil.

THUNK!

"What did I just hit? Guys?" Matthew shakily said. I threw my shovel down in my mini hole and crawled out of it. I hopped into Matthew's burrow and started swiping away the dirt. Underneath the dirt was something soft and plastic. I felt around more and felt another separate bag that was tied.

"I need help pulling this up! They're like... garbage bags?" I figured and started yanking the bag up. I heard Jason throw down his shovel and come to our hole.

"Get out of there if you can't pull them up-"

"No, I-I got it. URGH" I gave the bag another yank. It gave way and immediately emerged from the dirt. I lost my footing and fell back on to the ground with the bag on top of me. A bit of dirt got into my eye and I quickly threw the bag on the side of me to wipe my face.