Teach Me Tonight Pt. 4

"Mom, Joey's at the hospital!" Rory busted into the kitchen after a brief talk into the phone that rang while they were organizing the takeout drawer.

"What? What happened? Is she okay?" She instantly panicked tossing what she was doing and immediately going to grab her jacket, Rory followed close behind doing the same.

"I don't know. I just know that she's there." They quickly exited the house making their way to the car.

"Well who called? What'd they say?"

"No, no, no. You're not driving, get in the passenger seat." And without groaning Lorelai did as her daughter said.

"Tell me who called!"

"I need you to be calm." Her voice was serious.

"Calm? Calm for what?" She frowned. Rory opened her moth to speak but was cut off as they drove out. "It was Jess. Jess called, right? What did he said? Why did he said Joey's at the hospital?"

"Calm down, mom. He just told me that Joey was being taken to the hospital, that he was really sorry, and that he made sure she was okay."

"What? Why wouldn't she be okay? Why would she be taken to the hospital if she was okay? What would he be sorry for? What'd he do?"

"I know as much as you, okay? He didn't sound very well either, he was sobbing."

"Well he's not the one being taken to the hospital!"

"You don't know that! Now calm down please, everything will be okay."

***

"Joey! Oh god, Joey.  Are you okay?" Lorelai entered accompanied by Rory to the room where they were send to after a short discussion with a nurse.

"Mom, Rory! What are you- how did you?"

"Jess called." Rory explained, she went over to her and they hugged tightly.

"Oh, boy." She widened her eyes while Lorelai kissed her forehead. "I'm fine." She smiled. "Rory, I'm so sorry about your car. I promise I'll pay, and- and I'll never use it again if you don't want to, I get it, I-"

"What?!" Lorelai stepped back, eyes full with anger.

"What happened to the car?"

"So he left that for me to explain. Huh." She sighed.

"Hey whatever happened it's okay, you can tell me. It just matters that you're alright." Rory reassured her sister speaking truthfully. Joey amazed at her calmness.

"I'm alright." She sighed out again giggly, trying to make her mother relax but of course completely failing.

"Well we're standing here cause you're in the hospital, so clearly you're not alright." She was speaking coldly but still sarcastically. "Now I would like to know why."

"Because..." Joey felt like for the first time she had to think about how to say something. "I got in an accident." She calmly let it out as if it wasn't a big deal.

"What accident? What do you mean you got in an accident?"

"Jess and I went for ice cream and we were just drivin' and--it was dark, and this dog, or cat, or something, I don't know, it was small and furry-- and it ran off onto the middle of the road and we swerved-" She explained as if it was the plot of an action movie an she was a 5-year-old excitingly explaining to their friends.

""We" swerved?" She interrupted her daughter.

"What?" Joey said confused.

"Both of you were driving?"