Pt. 21 or The Graduation

"Oh my god, kid, you came just in time, the ceremony is about to start. I'm glad you're alright, I knew you wouldn't miss it." Sookie announced ushering Joey to sit on the chair they saved for her, making Rory turn to her sister, a wide smile spread across her face at the sense of relief that she was okay. A man started talking into the microphone giving immediate cue for the sisters to turn to each other.

"Where the hell were you?" She whispered a little bit harsher than intended. She wasn't angry but disappointed on her sister's act.

"Not now." She said in the same tone but just to get her of the subject.

"Yes now. Everyone was worried sick 'bout you."

"Yeah, I can clearly see that." She said sarcastically, referring to the not much attention given from the adults.

"Well, mom was, and so was Luke, and so was I, but I knew you were alright."

"So mom and Luke are okay now?"

"I don't think so. They haven't talked about the fight yet, but I'm sure everything will be okay, they always-" She abruptly stopped herself. "Wait, don't change the subject."

"But you started talking about-"

"Where were you?" Rory interrupted her sister. "And why aren't you wearing any shoes?"

"Oh," She smirked down to her feet and then turned back to her sister. "I left the flip-flops outside, I thought it wouldn't fit the dress code."

"And being barefoot would?" She raised and eyebrow.

"Well, it's definitely better."

"Where did you get flip-flops anyway?"

"A street seller." Joey responded as if it was no big thing.

"Where were you? New York?" Rory asked sarcastically at the thought of buying flip-flops from a street seller, she clearly took it as a joke. There weren't any street sellers anywhere near she could think of, except New York.

"Yeah." She nodded. Again talking as if it was no big deal. Rory nodded as a reflect act, not expecting that answer or an answer, but as soon as she realized her eyes widened and she abruptly turned to her again.

"You went to New York? Oh my God, you went to see Jess." She concluded.

"Shhh, it's your mother's turn." Sookie notified excitedly making both girls turn to the stage and pay attention to the ceremony.

"Lorelai Victoria Gilmore." A woman announced through the microphone. Lorelai stepped into the stage as her friends and daughters clapped enthusiastically. Her parents instead admired her accomplishment with tears on the verge of falling. Upon seeing this, Lorelai's smile grew wider and wider and her eyes got teary too. She passed the cap's tassel from left to right. In the quick shift of perspective she took notice of her daughters further back. The twins looked proudly at her mother, and when Lorelai's gaze fixated on Joey a feeling of relief filed her but a feeling of betrayal grew inside her. Betrayal towards the bond of trust that she had known was growing stronger with her, and that she thought would never be corrupted.
Following her  mother's stare upon noticing the subtle change in her expression, Rory's face turned, she stared at her sister knowing well the fight that was gonna come soon enough, as Joey just clapped at her mother as if nothing ever happened.

***

"We're so proud of you." Sookie exclaimed as her and Jackson approached the new graduate.

"Yeah, you were great up there."

"Thanks, you guys." She smiled and without being able to let another word out the twins rushed to her mother and embraced her in a tight hug, one they three felt they haven't had in a long time. It lasted for some seconds but it felt like a minute. They stepped back a little and Lorelai took a chance to glance between each of her daughters, feeling proud of both of them for some reason. A little tear escaped her eye.