Chapter 26:

The smile that split his face was illuminated in the light like the Cheshire Cat and I saw his eyes glint slightly when he turned his head to presumably get more comfortable. He was mirroring my actions, one arm bent and under his head, and the other laying in the gap between us, holding mine. Fingers disentangled from each other and his hand came up to my face, trailing his fingers up my cheekbone so it could push the hairs from my face and tuck them behind my ears. It continued on its path, his thumb tracing the groove on the underside of my jawbone and coming to a slow stop at my chin.

My eyes stayed transfixed on his, never moving from the sight that I found to be most beautiful in the worlds. Draco's eyes, however, never lifted to meet my own. He was following the movements of his hands with his eyes, tracing the angle of my jaw and going over every line of my face with his eyes, as if scanning over it to photocopy it. Even when his fingertips halted at my chin, his eyes remained glued to his hands, and by association, my lower face.

The change in gaze from chin to lips, for as small as the space between is, was painfully obvious, though the context in which I took notice was still unclear to even myself. There was little to no purity in the way he was looking over me, but I didn't give myself a good enough reason to stop him. Angled features seemed to slowly move closer to my own, and by the time he stopped, we were so close that either of us moving to talk would have resulted in our lips touching

Perhaps that's why it didn't surprise me when they did.

Lips met lips in the blink of an eye, and they remained still for several seconds, neither party knowing quite what they should contribute. Eventually, Draco took the initiative and moved his lips against my own. The slightly chapped skin that covered my own caused a faint friction between us, though the warmth that was sparked between us as a result was more than welcomed, at least on my part.

There was never one solid separation for air, but rather faint gasps for more oxygen everytime we adjusted our lips. No obnoxious sounds came from us, and no harsh or suggestive movements, not that I could really do that anyways; just pure emotions running between us through our connected lips. I didn't remember distinctly closing my eyes, but I do remember my eyelashes fluttering open, the first sight they took in being Draco's own half-lidded irises. Our eyes finally met, and a thousand and one things passed between us in a fraction of a second.

Sorrow for the circumstances, but relief that we were finally able to have this moment between us. Guilt for being a harbinger of misery, but a feeling of righteousness at finally getting an opportunity for stable and true happiness. Montras of fabled proclamations threatened to spill out of me, choruses of love and sacred chants of faith. I wanted Draco to know all of it, to realize that what he was giving to me was accepted and reciprocated. I wanted him to know so many things, but not a single sound left my unparting lips.

"I'm sorry." Draco finally broke the silence that was threatening to consume us both. His voice sounded forced and brittle, like the words themselves had burnt his larynx as they left his mouth. My greatest fears in this moment began to rear their unwelcomed heads, making me question myself and the love that I was preparing to instill in Draco. 

"What?" There was no audible break in my voice, but the air that I breathed in, or rather tried to breathe in after I spoke felt like it was caught like a kite string in a tree. I was forcing air in and out of my nose, playing the act of being calm as I mentally readied myself for the rejection that I was afraid was going to follow next.

"I-I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry." I saw flash of pain dance over the surface of Draco's eyes before he turned, laing on his back with his chest up to the ceiling. A defeated sigh caused his chest to sink into itself, making a divot in the blanket that was laying over both of us.