4- Mumbles and care

Another day at school.

The nightmare left Kris shooked, but it was a norm for him now; always having nightmares of blood and torture. But that did not mean he was use to the torture. No, he was far from numb. The pain is far too vivid to not be recognized.

His mother did not see the horrified look he portrayed when he took sight of the knife that was left on top of the kitchen counter, she seemed to have brushed it off, not seeing the pursed line of disgust that etched its way to his face.

They just got to school, nothing new as always. No change. It was like the world did not shift with every decision.

"You're choices don't matter."

Kris remembered what Susie had said only a few days prior. That sentence alone described his life so well.

'My choices don't matter,' Kris thought, staring into absolute nothing as the lesson continued.

Today was a "fun lesson" as Ms. Alphys called it; Greek mythology. But, Kris has already known of this, seeing as Asriel possessed many volumes of it, and Kris so happens to love books.

Asriel mostly read the tome where the main and powerful ones were, and Kris read the lower ones, it was still fun, no matter what they did.

But the mention of his brother's name was hard to bear, so he paid mind to the chatter of Ms. Alphys.

"O-okay class, w-who is the g-goddess of t-the hearth?" Ms. Alphys asked, pushing her specs to rest on her snout.

Berdly raised his hand, and so did Noelle. Not surprising at all since these two are the class' achievers.

Ms. Alphys pointed to Berdly and gestured for him to answer, "Easy, it's Vesta," Berdly answered rather smugly.

Ms. Alphys shook her head a little and replied, "I-It's wrong, b-but right."

Kris silently chuckled as Ms. Alphys' words were slowly becoming like the cryptic fellow he encountered in the Darkworld.

Berdly's face turned into one of disbelief, then it turned into a scowl as he mumbled under his breath about how this lesson was idiotic.

"T-that is t-the Roman e-equivalent, w-were talking a-about the Greek m-mythology," Ms. Alphys stuttered.

"I know, Ms. Alphys! It's Hestia, right?" Noelle said with the same kindness that she was known for.

Ms. Alphys nodded and returned to the board, but before she wrote anything or made a sound, the door bursts open to reveal a familiar monster.

Her scowl was scarier than it usually is, and as she made her way to the open seat behind Kris she kept mumbling to herself, something so inaudible.

The class kept quiet, and Ms. Alphys just shakily tried to continue the topic.

Susie rested her chin in her hand and continued to mumble.

Kris felt worried because of her slight change in mood. The shadow that was made by her wine fringe became darker.

And Kris' care burned even more as he made out a single mumble.

"I am strong."

~~~~~~~

Susie stood up from her seat, a heavy step in beat with the unruly chatter of the halls.

Kris found her steps quite startling. Still, he was focused on his caring intent. Focused to care for his friend.

He wasn't sure that friend was the right word, but it felt right, mostly to him.

He approached Susie as gently as he could. He wanted to know the cause of her frazzled and dark state.

Fear that was in mix with her powerful voice, it was odd to hear for Susie is always confident, and fear is an abomination to her eyes.

Kris crept quietly behind this ferocious female, carrying his lunchbox, still hearing her mumbles.

"He doesn't know me..."

Susie mumbled once more, Kris hearing clearly even with the voices of the many students occupying the halls they passed through.

Kris' care swelled his soul but he let it be, enjoying its embrace rather than the emptiness he has grown to know.

Susie let out a frustrated sigh as she stopped. She doesn't like this one bit. She loathes it. She hates it.

Why now?

She has had enough of this.

Why?

She thought about it, over and over.

Why?

Again and again.

Why?!

The thoughts swarmed in her head, pooling over her train of thought.

'It'll never be enough, will it?' Susie thought. Shaking with rage, fists balled, nails digging onto her dull skin.

So many questions, so little time to answer. She never understood did she? She's an ignorant little scumbag. A dirt under his shoe.

She was to be molded into something. Something of his wish.

Kris took a deep breath, watching Susie tremble as she dove deep within her thoughts. Susie continued to spiral deeper and deeper into the mind she called idiotic.

"Hey, Susie."

Susie gasped, fear lacing so oddly. Luckily for her, no one was around to witness her being a tad cowardly.

"Holy crap! Kris!" Susie said with a startled voice, fear still seeping through.

Her voice struck the care that was controlling every bit of his soul right now. Kindness that was surely shown when he does his kind acts.

"Are you ok?" Kris reached out, only to find that Susie looked away. She was still shaking a jot, fury still felt as if though it was there in the first place.

"I'm fine..." She mumbled once more, head hung low, back facing the human who had only been doing this for good intentions.

Kris grew tired of her mumbles. Determination was spiking his will, his care. Clearly she looked out of it, dazing and mumbling curses to the unheard wind.

Determination's glint was seen even with his brunet locks, "You're not fine!"
Kris shouted. Worry, care and anger mixing into something so indescribable.

Susie was taken aback by his fierceness, but she must learn by now that this particular brunet was not one to be underestimated.

Still, his words did not sway her to give in to his care, she simply took it and prepared to argue back.

"I'm fine, squirt. Just having a bad day is all," Susie argued calmly, quite out of character for her and turned to face Kris.

Kris stared at her with his eyes vibrant in determination's color. Susie felt its power, but indicated it as just a play of the mind.

His gaze was cold and stern, even with his hair covering it all. Kris returned to his faint smile, secretely trying to curtail the pulse.

Susie stared at him as his face lit up. Lips no longer a thin line, tugged upwards to reveal a smile. He asked with excitement:

"Wanna cut class?"

••••••••••

This feels so crummy....

But I promise you that it is all part of the plot!

Now... Enough of plot.

The next will be purely fluffy-fluff and I can't wait!

Crummy Author-chan out!

~Aivianne