One

The house, although clearly vacant for the better part of four years, still looked the same. There was still a tire swing hanging from the large tree out front that shaded too much of the front yard for much of any flower to thrive there for long. And although Bucky's mom, Winifred, always talked about cutting it down, she never made good on it.

Not that she necessarily needed to considering the vegetable garden that she often tended to that sat peacefully off to the side. Where she would grow cucumbers and green beans and the occasional attempt at tomatoes. Tomatoes seemed to be the only thing that Winifred was incapable of growing. Each year she'd talk dreamily about picking luscious tomatoes off the vine and cooking them with a bit of olive oil and some mozzarella cheese.

It never happened though. Each year, they would come up bad. An omen, Bucky's dad, George, would claim. Damn insects, Winifred would curse.

"Jesus," Bucky exclaimed, bracing himself against the dashboard as Becca completely demolished Winifred's garden.

"Oops," Becca winced and harshly stopped the silver Toyota Prius.

"Well," Mandy smirked and leaned forward from the backseat, "Maybe the tomatoes will grow now."

Playfully, Bucky rolled his eyes and climbed out of his car. Stretching his arms high above his head as their parents pulled into the driveway. Hearing the doors open, Bucky smirked over his shoulder, spotting Winifred with her arms crossed along her chest while shaking her head in disapproval at Becca's clear recklessness.

"I'm never riding with her again," Bucky dramatically stated, tugging down his rucked up t-shirt.

Of course, Winifred didn't find it very amusing and instructed Bucky, "Unload the car."

Doing as he was told because the mom-voice was still the most terrifying thing that Bucky had ever heard in his life and sent him right back to his childhood. Which, admittedly wasn't that long ago. Especially since he had only been eighteen for three months. But that didn't negate that hearing the mom-voice immediately took him back to all the things he had ever done wrong in his life.

Especially once it reached the epitome of mom-voice with her no nonsense mom-level of Because I Said So, "James, car."

Glancing over at Becca, Bucky gave her an encouraging grin before sighing and heading over to their parents' maroon red Jeep Wrangler. Opening the trunk, Mandy playfully bumped her hip against Bucky's. Simply living for the few inches she had grown over the year. Mandy still wasn't as tall as Bucky, but she clearly didn't mind.

"Ready for school to start?" Mandy curiously asked, pulling her unruly, windswept brown curls into a ponytail.

Playing the role of teen angst, Bucky threw his head back to dramatically sigh and told her, "I just graduated. Let me have this."

"So dramatic," Mandy teased, rolling her eyes and mocked, "Aren't you supposed to be the big brother?"

Of course, she was right. Bucky was the oldest. Still, he joked, "If you want a good big brother, call Sam."

"Please," Mandy scoffed, "That boy is a daddy if I've ever seen one."

"Oh my god," Bucky scoffed, scandalized by what his younger sister just said about his best friend.

"You see daddy every day," Tibby innocently stated, sleepily rubbing her eyes as she looked up at her older siblings.

Bucky gave Mandy a pointed look, but Mandy didn't seem to care as she threw her head back in her laughter. Sighing, Bucky shook his head and picked the youngest -- and possibly cutest -- Barnes up into his arms. Balancing the six year old on his hip, while also grabbing a large duffle bag from the Jeep.

Tibby rested her head on Bucky's shoulder as Bucky headed over to the house. The house had originally belonged to Bucky's grandpa, George's dad. When he passed though, he left it to George. This was the first time that they were staying at the house though. Needing those years to properly mourn. But even now, Bucky didn't miss the way that George's eyes were glassy and misty.

Especially as George stood there by the porch looking at the empty rocking chair. It was still there, exactly where he left it all those years ago. The chair that he used to sit for hours watching the hummingbirds come up to the feeder that had long sat empty since Grandpa's passing.

Bucky's heart clenched in his chest and he hesitated by the open door. Bucky could hear the muffled sounds of Becca arguing with Winifred, but his attention was focused on George. Setting Tibby down, Bucky bent over so they were at eye level before he sweetly instructed, "Go help Mom unpack."

Tired, Tibby let out a defeated sigh, "Oh-kay."

Standing back up, Bucky ruffled Tibby's brown curls and watched as she entered the house before setting down the duffle bag he was carrying. Crossing the porch, Bucky glanced over at the rocking chair and couldn't deny how nostalgic he felt in the moment. It felt like old times. It felt as though at any minute, Grandpa, shriveled and gray haired, would take his place in the seat. That Grandpa would smile warmly at Bucky like he had so many other times.

"You okay?" Bucky asked, placing a comforting hand on George's shoulder.

George nodded and covered Bucky's hand with his own. Giving Bucky's hand a reassuring squeeze, George softly stated, "Yeah, I'm okay."

Bucky nodded because he understood. They were going to be okay. They had been gone too long. And Bucky couldn't wait to see what the summer held for them. Especially what it held for himself.