Sixty-Four

"So, uh," Bucky started, following Steve down the staircase, "How did you, um..."

At the bottom, Steve turned to look up at Bucky. There was a smirk on his face and he teased, "How did I... become such a great kisser?"

"No," Bucky playfully rolled his eyes, swatting at Steve. Steve winked, clearly enjoying how flustered Bucky could be even after everything they did and how they napped and cuddled the afternoon away. Bucky took in a deep breath to find some courage as he asked, "How did you break up with Sharon?"

The smirk dropped from Steve's face as his expression twisted into one more sheepish. Rubbing the back of his neck, Steve allowed himself to focus on the floor as he admitted, "I took her out for ice cream."

Out of every possible way that Bucky could think of, that was the one that he imagined least. Blinking, Bucky scoffed, "What?"

"I know," Steve started, sighed, and peeked up at Bucky, "But I figured it'd be easier."

"How did she take it?" Bucky asked, fighting a smirk.

"Not well," Steve confessed. He covered his face in his hands as he stated, "I don't think I'll ever be able to look at Mint Chip the same way again."

And although Bucky didn't want to laugh at someone's heartache, he couldn't help himself. A loud chuckle burst through him. Instantly, Steve snapped his gaze to Bucky as Bucky attempted to cover his mouth. Desperately, Bucky wished to stop laughing. But he couldn't. And that only made Bucky feel worse about the whole situation.

However, the affectionate way that Steve was watching him, did ease his discomfort. Especially once Steve took a step closer and wrapped Bucky in his strong, secure arms. No matter how terrible he felt about Sharon's broken heart, Bucky knew that he'd be lying if he said that they should've never broken up.

Call him selfish, Bucky didn't care. He had his Stevie and that was all that mattered to him.

It had taken so long to get to this point and Bucky wanted it to last forever. And Bucky was fully intending on doing everything possible to make sure that he had this forever. Nothing but him and Steve forever and ever, amen.

That was what Bucky wanted more than anything else in his life. Holding Steve, Steve nuzzled his face into Bucky's chest and Bucky rested his cheek on the top of Steve's head. Bucky wondered if Steve felt it too. He sure hoped so.

As if silently reassuring him, Steve gave Bucky's torso a comforting squeeze, causing Bucky to close his eyes in his content. Then, Bucky's heart stuttered when he realized that he never told Steve his deepest truth. So, Bucky removed his cheek from the top of Steve's head and unintentionally caused Steve to pull back to look up at him.

Even though Bucky realized that Steve probably understood just how Bucky felt, his heart still stuttered in his chest. Almost as though he was nervous for Steve's reaction. Which was completely ridiculous considering Steve had already professed his own feelings.

"I, uh," Bucky started, but paused when he realized just how dry his throat was in that moment. Swallowing thickly, Bucky averted his gaze. Trying to figure out how to express himself properly. Although, Bucky realized that no matter how he said it and no matter how many times, Bucky knew that it would never accurately describe how much he felt.

"Buck?" Steve questioned, brows furrowing as he studied Bucky. When Bucky purposely kept his gaze off him, Steve asked, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah," Bucky reassured, finally turning his attention back to Steve in front of him.

Steve quirked a brow, "You sure?"

Silently, Bucky nodded, feeling his heart harshly stutter in his chest at the way Steve clearly didn't believe him. So, Bucky took in a deep, grounding breath, to steady himself. Not only did Bucky know that he should profess to Steve, he wanted to. More than anything.

Bucky just hoped that he did himself justice with his truth.

"Steve," Bucky started, gaining Steve's attention again. Feeling eerily calm with Steve's pretty blues on him, Bucky said, "I love you."

Blushing, Steve pressed his lips together. Almost as though he was trying to keep his smile small. Of course, it didn't work when Bucky childishly crossed his eyes, causing Steve to chuckle. In reply, Steve playfully swatted Bucky's bum, causing Bucky to bark out a laugh.

It was then that Steve stood on his tiptoes to kiss Bucky, causing Bucky to melt into Steve's strong arms. Finally being able to do what they had always wanted. Who knew what the future held for them? All they knew was that together, they could do anything.