Forty-Six

Steve's birthday was always a spectacle. For most, it was simply the Fourth of July. But for Bucky? It was all about Steve. And this year was no different.

Well, maybe a little different. After all, the other lifeguards were there, so it wasn't just the Rogers, Romanoffs, and Barnes. Nope, not this year. This year had them plus Clint plus Hildy and her girlfriend, Carol, plus Laura from the pizza shop, and one of Steve's friends, Brock.

And let's not forget about Sharon, because she was there too. Much to Bucky's annoyance.

So, Bucky stood off to the side. Practically babysitting the table with the snacks. Shoving the festive Fourth of July themed white chocolate covered Chex Mix while he watched Steve and Sharon flirt. And like a car crash, Bucky couldn't take his eyes off them.

It started with Steve mischievously, discreetly, squirting Sharon with Conner's blue water gun, then quickly looking away when she looked over at him. Then, it was Sharon who playfully threw a water balloon at Steve, effectively soaking his red, white, and blue striped tank. After that, it was on. Steve pulled Sharon close and threw her over her shoulder. The entire walk on the dock, Sharon squealed and swatted his bum before he effortlessly tossed her into the lake.

Bucky had assumed that it would've ended there.

He was wrong.

Running out of the water, Sharon tackled Steve to the ground. Both laughing as they laid there on the ground. Steve growing more damp the longer that he laid on the grass with Sharon's soaked body on top of his. And while that would've been enough to break Bucky's heart, it was made even worse by how everyone else at the barbeque was laughing along with them.

So, Bucky was standing at the table, watching the love of his life stand there with Sharon. Both were still a little damp from their earlier activities, but the sunshine and the heat of the day had dried them out pretty nicely. Steve's arms were wrapped around Sharon's slender waist while Sharon's arms were draped along Steve's shoulders. No. Not draped. She was sliding them around his neck and playing with the hair at the back of his neck.

By his seventh handful of Chex Mix, Bucky felt sick. He wasn't sure if it was because of the sugary snack or Steve's loving boyfriend routine. But he knew which one he'd put his money on.

As he wiped his hand clean, Sam casually took his place beside Bucky. Bucky had a feeling that he knew Sam was going to comment on the display in front of him, but he really hoped that Sam wouldn't. It was bad enough that Sam knew about his crush on Steve, but to have Sam pity him? No thanks.

"Hey," Sam started, softly, warmly.

Glancing at his friend, Bucky pleaded, "Don't."

"I just wanna see if..." Sam trailed off, glancing at the bowl of Chex Mix, "If you're going to share those snacks."

Bucky teased, "I thought you were the only snack here."

"Well, you know," Sam chuckled, feigning arrogance.

Playfully, Bucky rolled his eyes. Although it was nice to have friends who cared for him and wanted to make sure that he was okay, he couldn't help but wish that it had been another friend to check up on him. A muscular blond, perhaps? An Adonis lifeguard, maybe?

"Okay, everyone!" Sarah Rogers announced, gaining everyone's attention as she carried out a festive birthday cake with vanilla frosting and red, white, and blue sprinkles on it. Atop the cake were tall, lit, sparklers and instantly, Sarah started singing, "Happy birthday to you."

With Steve heading to meet his mom halfway, everyone joined in, "Happy birthday to you."

From the side, Bucky watched Steve and made it a little more personal as he sang, "Happy birthday, dear Stevie."

Although Bucky was nowhere near Steve, nor was his voice loud enough to be heard over everyone else's, Steve still managed to glance right at him. Bashfully, looking up from beneath his lashes. Steve always hated this part of his birthday. He hated having everyone watching him and singing to him when he had no idea what to do under their gazes.

"Okay, make a wish!" Alana excitedly encouraged while Conner cheered with his toddler lisp, "With! With! With!"

However, Conner's cheer caught on as the rest of the group joined in by chanting, "Wish! Wish! Wish!"

Rolling his eyes as he thought, Steve finally closed his eyes, puffed out his cheeks, and blew out the sparklers. Once he was done, everyone cheered and applauded, which was another aspect that Steve despised. He always claimed that it made him feel like a performing monkey. Yet, every year, he forced that same uncomfortable toothy grin onto his face, just like he was doing now.

Bucky joined in on the applause, but quickly averted his gaze when Sharon reached up and turned Steve's face so he was looking at her. Bucky didn't need to see her reach up and kiss Steve, he knew that she was doing it. And even without looking at it, Bucky could still imagine it, much to his chagrin.

Deciding that it was all too much, Bucky headed inside the Rogers' house to grab something to drink. Stalling a bit, Bucky looked over the hung photos that were scattered along the main level of the house. School portraits of both blondes. Professional family portraits throughout the holidays. It was fascinating seeing how everyone had changed over time, but especially Steve.

Steve had been small. So very, very small. And frail. The way that his lungs refused to work used to frighten Bucky and leave him scaring himself awake from nightmares where he would stumble upon a blue, cold, dead Steve on the ground. Not that his shortcomings ever stopped Steve from doing just as much as everyone else their age, and possibly doing more than them.

Bucky had missed a lot, and as he felt the longing and sorrow come to swallow him up, Bucky averted his blurry gaze to the chilled soda in his hand. Watching the condensation as it dripped down the can and pooled around his hand, Bucky gathered himself enough to return outside only to wish that he hadn't.

Playfully, Sharon was pestering Steve and teasingly poking his side as she pleaded, "Oh, c'mon, Stevie. What did you wish for?"

Smirking, Steve swatted her hand away from himself and exchanged a look with Bucky before telling her, "If I say it aloud, it won't come true."