Forty-Three

Sparklers were dispersed as soon as the sun started to set. Nat mesmerized Conner as she moved the sparkler in such a way that designs could be seen. A heart. Her name. To Bucky's horror, a giant S.R. + B.B. in a giant heart.

In retaliation, Bucky knocked his hip against hers, causing her to fall into Clint. Clint, of course, didn't seem to mind. Smirking down at Natasha as she regained her balance. Sam laughed at the display and Natasha glared back at Bucky with her red cheeks. All Bucky could do was smirk.

"Buck!" Steve called out, gesturing for Bucky to join him and Conner.

Casually -- he hoped -- Bucky crossed the yard to where Steve was standing. Balancing Conner on his hip, Steve held out two sparklers and asked, "Ya mind?"

"Sure," Bucky agreed, taking the sparklers from Steve's hand. Thrilling at the way that their fingers brushed along one another's as they exchanged the unlit items. Shuddering, Bucky hoped that Steve didn't notice.

Pulling the lighter from his back pocket, Steve effortlessly lit the two sparklers and took back the one that Bucky handed him. Steve went to pass it to Conner, but Conner didn't want it and cowered into Steve's strong, broad shoulder.

"It's okay, pal," Steve comforted Conner by resting his cheek on the top of Conner's head. To show that the sparkler was fine, Steve swirled it around in the air. When that still didn't help, Steve softly recalled, "You know Bucky used to be afraid of sparklers."

Bucky's brows furrowed, "What?"

Steve gave Bucky a pointed look and Bucky lied, "Oh. Oh, yeah. Right. Totally terrified."

"See," Steve told Conner who was watching Bucky mindlessly swirl the sparkler around. "And if scaredy cat, Buck --"

"Watch it," Bucky warned.

"-- can get over it, then you can too," Steve continued as though Bucky hadn't interrupted him.

"I hate you so much," Bucky muttered, playfully rolling his eyes as his sparkler went out.

Steve smirked and winked at Bucky as he placed his burnt sparkler into the pale of water. Bucky did the same by placing his used sparkler in the pale too and picked up the box of opened sparklers. Shaking them, Bucky asked, "Another?"

Looking down at Conner, Steve questioned, "Whatdaya say?"

Shyly, Conner glanced up at Bucky. Cheerily, Bucky shook the box of sparklers and smiled encouragingly. With that, Conner bashfully gazed up at Steve and nodded. Steve pressed his forehead against Conner's and he prompted, "Isn't this fun?!"

Another nod from Conner and Bucky smirked as he shook out two sparklers. Setting the box down, Steve pulled out the lighter and held it up. As he lit the two sparklers, Alana called out, "Conner, bedtime!"

"No," Conner whined, holding tightly onto Steve.

Holding the sparkler away from himself and Conner, Steve could do nothing else but allow Conner to climb all over him. Seeing the obvious struggle, Bucky took the sparkler from Steve. Steve flashed Bucky a gracious grin as he started carrying Conner over to Alana who was standing in the doorway.

All the while, Conner whined. Then started crying. Alana lied, "Steve and his friends are going to bed too." Conner may have been a toddler, but he wasn't stupid. He obviously knew that Alana wasn't being truthful and cried even more as he clung tighter to Steve. Pointedly, Alana said, "Isn't that right everyone? You're coming inside to get a good night's sleep so you can stay awake tomorrow for Stevie's birthday?"

"Oh, yeah," Bucky agreed. Understanding being the responsible older sibling and the one needing to take one for the team.

"Totally," Natasha joined in, putting her used sparkler in the water pale.

Sam too as he called out, "Yup."

"We love sleep," Clint exaggerated, earning a few glances from the rest of the group.

"See," Alana stated, finally taking Conner into her arms. Conner was still crying and Alana said, "They're going to be right behind us. Right?"

"Yeah," Steve confirmed, grabbing the boxes of sparklers.

Natasha blew out the mosquito repellent candles while Sam and Clint grabbed the pales. As the group headed up to the house, Alana rubbed soothing circles into Conner's back and reassured, "See, they're going to bed."

"Oh-oh-tay," Conner sniffled, burying his face into Alana's neck. Peeking from over her shoulder, Conner watched the teens as they followed them into the house. And because Conner had them all wrapped around his finger, the group of teens all waved after them as they headed up to the main level.

"Night, night," Steve called after his sister and nephew. Once they were out of sight, Steve turned to face his friends and offered, "Slumber party?"

"Definitely," Bucky eagerly agreed. Perhaps too eagerly, as Steve quirked a brow and fought a grin. Too late, now he knows.