Forty-Nine

"Bub?!" George called out as the party goers started moving from the back of the house to the front.

"Shit," Bucky sighed, glancing out from the house to find his family climbing into the Jeep. Raking his hand through his hair, he turned back to look at Steve. He knew that he wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of the night -- or the rest of his life -- with Steve.

As Bucky went to leave the side of the house, Steve grabbed a hold of Bucky's hand, causing Bucky to pause. Bucky glanced down at his hand and then back up to Steve. Both took a step towards each other, and Steve softly pleaded, "Stay? Like when we were kids. Please."

Bucky would like to think that he wasn't a pushover. But in instances like this particular one, Bucky knew that he was, most definitely, a pushover. He'd do anything that Steve asked him to. That was how it had always been though.

"I promise to keep it platonic," Steve teased, even though he was rubbing soothing circles into the back of Bucky's hand.

Although Bucky knew that he was going to agree regardless, Bucky pretended to think about it. Playfully, Steve shook his head, but didn't rush Bucky to agree, like they both knew he would.

"Okay," Bucky finally -- and predictably -- agreed. But when Steve's smile cut across his face like the sun rising, Bucky didn't care how much of a pushover he was or how predictable he could be, he knew that he'd do anything to see that smile directed at him.

Pulling his hand from Steve's, Bucky started heading around to the front of the house. George was attempting to get Tibby in her booster seat, but Tibby wasn't cooperating. Instead, she was being rather difficult and Winifred used her mom-voice to tell her, "Tabitha, sit down!"

Tibby whined and tiredly rubbed at her eyes, "I don't wanna go home. I want to stay here."

"Tabitha Eugenia Barnes," Winifred warned. And because each of the Barnes children understood the mom-voice, Tibby sat in her seat, letting George buckle her in. However, she kept pouting.

As George went to close the door, he turned and spotted Bucky. Curiously, he asked, "Whatcha doin' over there?"

Steve had followed Bucky out from the dark side of the house and lied, "There was a, uh, bunny."

"A bunny?" George questioned, his brows furrowing.

Bucky knew that Steve was a terrible liar, but Jesus Christ, so Bucky confirmed, "Yeah. A wild bunny. We wanted to make sure that it was okay."

George looked between the two boys, as did Natasha. Bucky was more fearful of Natasha figuring it out before George. Overhearing this, Sam asked, "Well, is it okay?"

"Yeah," Bucky quickly reassured. Gesturing with his thumb, behind him, Bucky said, "Hopped away."

Natasha quirked a brow as she crossed her arms along her chest. Bucky swallowed thickly, hoping that no one attempted to find the fake bunny. Hoping that no one saw through the lie and hoping that none of them would want to know what they were really doing in the dark together.

"Okay," George smirked and waved for Bucky to join them, "C'mon. We're heading home."

"Actually," Bucky started and paused when he felt his throat tighten. Clearing his throat, Bucky tried to say as casually as possible, "I was, um, thinking about staying the, uh, night."  Bucky directed his attention to Sam and offered, "If that's okay.  If you want to."

Sam glanced between Bucky and Steve.  Bucky swore that he could see the flash of recognition across Sam's expression as he stated, "Yeah, last night was cool.  I'm down."

"Okay," George smiled and nodded in encouragement. He then opened the door to the passenger seat and called out, "You boys behave."

Causing Steve to choke on his saliva while a deep blush started blooming on Bucky's cheeks. Briefly, Bucky pressed his lips together to keep himself from laughing, while Sam nodded his confirmation and reassured George, "You don't have to worry about anything."

"I know," George conceded. Climbing into the passenger seat, George continued, "You're good boys. I know you won't get into any trouble."

"Of course, they are," Natasha chimed in. There was a mischievous glint in her eyes though as she told George, "I'll keep 'em in line for ya."

"We know you will," Winifred confirmed with an easy grin as she took her seat behind the steering wheel. She honked the horn and waved at them before backing out of the driveway. Pausing before driving down the street, the windows rolled down and the Barnes' called out, "Happy birthday!"

Bucky smirked, beaming over at a blushing Steve. Which only made Bucky's smile grow.

It didn't stay for long, however, as Sharon joined them. The way that she smiled up at Steve caused Bucky's stomach to churn. Especially when Sharon slid her hands up and around Steve's neck. Bucky knew what it felt like to hold Steve like that, and the guilt started to eat its way from his stomach outward.