Twenty-Eight

"So, you're, um, just going to," Steve started, glancing away from the kids to look at Bucky, "Hang out?"

"Uh, yes?" Bucky replied, crossing his arms along his chest as he glanced over at the attractive blond. Trying not to ogle Steve's perfect physique, but thankful for his dark tinted sunglasses because he was most definitely failing.

Steve's gaze was on the kids and brought the whistle to his lips. Giving one blow of the whistle, Steve reminded the kids, "No splashing, please."

Harshly pressing his lips together, Bucky desperately needed to not think about just how undeniably sexy Steve's authoritative voice was. Bucky also needed to immediately stop daydreaming about the things Steve could get him to do with that commanding tone. Because there wasn't much that he wouldn't do...

And Bucky really needed to stop thinking about it.

Taking in a deep breath, Bucky directed his attention to the little kids. For the most part, they were behaving well. Except for the little jerk who decided to pull Tibby's ponytail. With his mouth in a straight line, Bucky made his way over to the spot where Tibby had been cornered while sternly demanding, "Hey! Keep your hands to yourself!"

The whistle blew and Steve repeated, "Keep your hands to yourself, please!"

"I am!" The little boy loudly defended himself, "I'm not doin' nothin'!"

Ignoring the boy, Bucky kneeled by the edge of the kiddie pool and asked Tibby, "You okay?"

Breaking Bucky's heart, there were tears in Tibby's eyes, but she nodded and softly reassured, "I'm okay."

As Bucky comfortingly rubbed Tibby's back, Steve approached them. Kneeling next to Bucky, Steve asked, "Everything okay?"

Sniffling, Tibby nodded her confirmation. Steve and Bucky exchanged a glance and Steve held his hand out to Tibby while he questioned, "Wanna come help me for a minute?"

Tibby looked at Bucky and Bucky nodded. Taking Steve's hand, Tibby let Steve assist her out of the pool and walked with him to the front, where his lifeguard chair was. Bringing his whistle back to his mouth, Steve gave it a short blow to get the kids' attention.

Once Steve had their attention, he asked, "Who's ready to play Follow the Leader?"

Enthusiastically, the kids agreed with a few differing yeahs peppered in. Steve smiled and gave Tibby's hand a soothing squeeze as he told the kids, "Okay! This is Tibby, and she's going to be the first leader."

Standing, Bucky watched as Tibby looked questioningly up at Steve and then questioningly over at himself. Bucky wasn't sure if Tibby had ever played Follow the Leader, but he figured that with how bossy she could be, it should've come naturally to her.

Steve must have figured that Tibby was new to the game -- or just new to having all eyes on her -- because he bent over and said something in her ear. Momentarily, Tibby's brows furrowed, studying Steve when he pulled back. Steve nodded, silently encouraging her.

Finally, Tibby used her free hand to pat her belly and softly demanded, "Pat your belly."

When Steve used his free hand to pat his own belly, Tibby's eyes widened in shock and she directed her gaze to Bucky. Encouraging his sister, Bucky also began patting his stomach. It didn't take long for the other kids in the kiddie pool to also join in.

It also didn't take long for Tibby's voice to grow more sure as she moved her hand to her knee and started patting it, "Pat your knee."

Just like the previous command, everyone did as instructed. Including Steve and Bucky. All the while, Bucky couldn't help but internally muse, Dear god, I want to raise my future children with this man.

Especially after Tibby instructed the kids to stick their tongues out, causing Steve to throw his head back while letting out a hearty laugh. Yup, Bucky was done for. He knew it. There was nothing more to it.

Bucky was foolish to believe that his crush was over. After all, Steve had never truly left his mind. Not even when Bucky was dating Connie. Steve had always been there. Sometimes, he was the only thing that Bucky could think about.

Whether Steve was an Adonis or sickly, didn't matter to Bucky. Steve was Steve. From what Bucky could tell, Steve was still the same cheeky boy that he remembered. He was still sarcastic while also being the lovable goofball. Steve was everything that Bucky could've ever wanted in a best friend.

And even more so in a boyfriend.

Especially when Steve childishly stuck his tongue out, and pointedly directed the playful, immature behavior at Bucky. Cementing his place in Bucky's heart.