Fifty-Four

It was a Barnes tradition to see the fireworks on the lake. It was also a tradition to join the Rogers and Romanoffs in the lake where all the channels met up at. Steve, Natasha, and Bucky would climb up onto the top deck to huddle together in awe as the strategic and decorative explosions lit up the sky.

Growing up, it was Bucky's favorite summer activity. But Bucky knew that a large part of it was because he got to spend more time with Steve. Even before Bucky became consciously aware of his infatuation towards Steve, Bucky knew that Steve made everything better. Bucky had never been one who longed and looked forward to summer. Rather, Bucky longed and looked forward to the next time he got to see Steve.

Even now, Bucky's stomach was in knots to see Steve. To see a single Steve. A single Steve that Bucky hoped to be kissing under the fireworks.

Taking in a grounding breath, Bucky tried not to set his hopes too high. Glancing over at Sam who had Tibby secured -- and sleeping -- on his chest, Bucky smirked. Turning to look behind him to his parents, George smiled and winked at Bucky, silently letting him know that he saw the adorable pair in the seat beside Bucky's. Briefly, Bucky glanced even further back at the two teens in the back who were huddled together under a blanket with their ponytails flying behind them from the speed that the navy-blue 2008 Tahoe Q4 Sport was picking up.

Everyone seemingly content, Bucky redirected his attention to the front. Closing his eyes, Bucky remembered his childhood and how this always felt like flying. All Bucky wanted when he was younger was to be able to fly, so he could fly over to Steve whenever he wanted to. Which was always: all the time.

Slowing down, Bucky opened his eyes to see that they were leaving the channel and entering the lake. Other boaters were already taking their spots and Winifred easily maneuvered over to the Rogers' red 2008 Sun Tracker Party Cruiser. Once they were close enough, Bucky stood and tossed the rope to Joseph when he held his hands up for it.

Easily catching it, Joseph effortlessly looped the rope around the guardrail and tied it tight, so the boats were right beside each other. Making it easier for the families to be on the Party Cruiser together where there was enough comfortable seating, a kitchenette, a dinette, and a bathroom.

As Bucky took Tibby from Sam, Bucky spotted Steve inside the cabin. Steve hadn't spotted Bucky yet, but Bucky didn't care. He didn't mind silently watching Steve as he opened a bag of freshly popped popcorn and poured the contents into the large bowl on the counter beside him.

Going to set Tibby down, she clung to Bucky more and when he quietly glanced over at her, she whined, "I gotta go potty."

"Okay," Bucky reassured and situated Tibby on his hip. Sure, Bucky would be happy to assist his sister with anything, but he was even more happy that he had to enter the cabin where Steve was.

Opening the sliding door gained Steve's attention and he casually glanced over to smile at Bucky. Stepping inside the cabin, Bucky paused, bashful under Steve's warm gaze. Then, noting that the air conditioning was on in the cabin, Bucky closed the sliding door and carried Tibby further into the cabin.

"Hey, cutie," Steve greeted with an easy grin that tugged at Bucky's heartstrings.

Although Bucky was sure that the term of endearment wasn't meant for him, he teased, "Oh, please. The way you flatter me, honestly."

"I mean," Steve purposely paused to accentuate his words with a shrug. Almost as though he was agreeing with Bucky and had meant for Bucky to take the greeting as a personal compliment.

Bucky stepped closer. Knowing that he would have to squeeze past the muscular blond on his way to the tiny bathroom. All Bucky wanted to do was lean over and pepper Steve's skin with his affectionate kisses. To taste the day on his skin. To find and catalog all the little things that made Steve, Steve, right down to his very cells.

Successfully, moving past Steve -- while also managing to brush his backside against that desirable body in the small space -- Bucky stopped in front of the bathroom. Raising his hand, Bucky paused before he even got the chance to knock on the closed door as it cautiously opened. Bucky took a step back, and was utterly shocked to find Sharon stepping out of the tiny bathroom.