Nineteen

Returning to the Rogers' residence, Steve cautiously pulled into his driveway. Smirking, Bucky watched as their friends played in the large front yard with Conner. Currently, Natasha was kicking a blue soccer ball around with Conner chasing after her.

As Bucky opened his door, Conner's giggles and squeals could be heard, causing Bucky to instantly grin. Especially when Conner ran over to Steve, lifting his arms to let him know that he wanted to be lifted while giggling, "Teve, Teve, pick me up!"

Playfully, Natasha bent over, trying to be eye-level with the toddler. Wiggling her fingers in his direction, she started heading over towards them and Conner frantically waved his hands as he squealed, "Teve!"

One armed, Steve did just as the toddler demanded. Balancing Conner, Steve asked, "Are you having fun?"

Conner nodded and quickly embraced Steve, tightly wrapping his arms around Steve's neck. Steve closed his eyes and affectionately held Conner just a little closer. Bucky's chest clenched at the sheer adorableness as he fondly watched Steve interact with his nephew.

Still staring, once Steve's eyes opened and landed on Bucky's, their eyes locked. The only thing that Bucky could do was stand there, frozen under Steve's gaze while his heart painfully stuttered in his chest. It was a hot minute before they stopped staring at each other. And it was only because Steve used his head to gesture towards the door.

Readily, Bucky followed, almost forgetting that he was holding the three large pizzas altogether. Pausing at the door, Steve went to put Conner down, but the toddler held Steve even tighter. Sighing, Steve fixed his grip on Conner and handed the limeade to the toddler with a simple, "Will you hold this for me, please?"

"Okay," Conner agreed and held tightly onto the bottle of limeade.

With a smirk, Steve exchanged a look with Bucky and opened the door with his free hand. Holding it open, so Bucky could enter the house first, Conner slightly hid his face in Steve's neck.

Trying to reassure Bucky as he followed him into the house, Steve explained the toddler's behavior, "He's shy."

"It's alright," Bucky warmly smiled at Conner, who was watching him over Steve's shoulder as Steve led the way up the short staircase to the main level.

Trying not to drop the pizzas while also trying not to stare at Steve's taut bum, Bucky focused his attention on Conner. Conner was smiling, but still hid in Steve's broad shoulder. As though Steve was a shield, protecting the blond toddler. Steve was always good at protecting others though. Even when he was the smallest guy around.

"You hungry?" Steve softly questioned Conner as he carried him into the kitchen.

When Conner didn't say anything and just kept smiling at Bucky, Steve turned to look back at Bucky. Blushing, Bucky gave a shrug to Steve's slightly furrowed brow and averted his gaze once Steve's lips started stretching into a fond grin. Especially when Steve conceded, "I think he likes you."

"Of course, he does," Bucky teased, focusing on carefully placing the pizza boxes on the counter.

"Of course, he does," Steve light-heartedly mocked. Setting the limeade, Steve continued, "It's nice to know the same ol' smug, Buck, is still around. Would've been a shame if he disappeared too."

Bucky's brows furrowed at that. Not so much the words that Steve used, but the tone. The solemnness that seeped out and tinted everything grayish blue for Bucky. Maybe Steve had missed him more than Bucky had originally assumed.

Sure, they hadn't gone completely without contact. They had friended each other on social media platforms. But neither were the type to post too much on those. After all, they were busy. Busy with school and sports and other extracurriculars. Plus hanging out with friends and family. Not to mention how they both had girlfriends.

Clearing his throat, Bucky teased, "Nice to see you're still the same punk you've always been."

Earning a playful eye roll, Steve smirked as he muttered, "Jerk."

For a moment, it felt like old times. Like they had never been separated. And although there was a lot that Bucky still wanted to say and do to prove that he was sorry for not being there. To prove himself to Steve. For now, it would have to do. For now, Bucky had to find some solace. To hope for the best. It was all that Bucky could do in that moment. No matter how much more Bucky truly wished to say and do to prove to Steve that he really meant it.

And as a small grin tugged at the corner of Steve's lips, Bucky hoped that he'd eventually get that chance to do so.