Forty

As luck would have it, Steve did get along with Sam rather well. In fact, Steve seemed to genuinely enjoy Sam's company. Which was, admittedly, a huge relief to Bucky. Although, Bucky had assumed that the pair would hit it off, he couldn't deny that there was a small fraction of himself that worried that they wouldn't. If they hadn't, Bucky was fully prepared to choose which one to spend his summer with.

Luckily, Bucky didn't have to do that though.

Relaxing into his seat on the blue sofa, Bucky was conscious of just how close he was sitting to Steve. In their casual lounging, with Bucky reclining back and his left foot planted firmly on floor while his right leg was bent, resting on the middle cushion between himself and Steve. And with Steve practically mirroring Bucky, their feet were almost touching. All Bucky needed to do was --

Steve reclined further, causing his dangling foot to brush along Bucky's. Causing an unexpected shudder to ripple down Bucky's spine at the contact. Which then caused a blush to bloom across his cheeks because it was just a small, insignificant brush of foot along foot. Yet, Bucky could feel the warmth coursing through him from their point of contact.

The longer that Steve's foot remained against his, the more aware Bucky became. More aware of Steve's foot touching his. More aware of the minutes ticking by. More aware of Sam noticing. Noticing that Steve seemingly had no intention in removing his foot, while also praying that he wouldn't.

"So, um," Sam shifted in his seat to get more comfortable. Crossing his arms, he casually questioned, "This what you two do? Just," a glance to their feet then back up to their faces, "Hang out?"

"Yeah, pretty much," Steve casually answered.

Nervously chuckling, Bucky teased, "Why? Are you bored?"

"Not bored," Sam relayed, "But curious. Ya know, trying to see what there's to do around here."

"Well," Steve started, checking his phone, "Clint was going to pick up some fireworks."

"Yeah?" Sam quirked a brow, intrigued, while Bucky muttered a tease, "Only because you can't."

"Hey," Steve exclaimed in mock offense. Purposely tapping his already touching foot against Bucky's as he complained, "I'm the birthday boy, you're not allowed to be a jerk."

"Oh, please," Bucky playfully rolled his eyes. Chuckling, Bucky defended himself, "I'm not being a jerk, just pointing out --"

A throw pillow to the face stopped Bucky. Sam was chuckling to the point where no sound was coming out, just the gasping of his breaths. Shocked, Bucky turned to look at Steve who was holding the throw pillow in his hand while slouching further into the couch, as though he was hoping the couch would swallow him up. Steve's lips were pressed together as he fought a laugh that was clearly building inside of him.

That was when Bucky pounced. Balancing himself with his right knee, digging into the couch cushion and his foot on the floor steadying himself further, Bucky started tickling Steve. Ignoring the fact that Steve was between his legs, Bucky instead focused on the giggles squeaking out of the attractive birthday boy.

"Okay," Steve gasped writhing beneath Bucky. Bucky didn't let up though. His fingers kept finding new places to exploit with his tickles. Finally, Steve managed to force out in one breath, "Okayyou'renotajerkI'msorry."

Pausing, Bucky playing narrowed his eyes at Steve, but didn't remove his hands from the strong torso beneath him. Steve's breaths were labored under Bucky's careful, curious fingertips. Bucky wanted to keep his hands there. Actually, Bucky wanted to let his hands roam further. Explore other areas. Just be able to touch Steve wherever he could.

Of course, he didn't.

Instead, Bucky removed his hands from Steve's body and tried not to seem too reluctant as he did so. However, Bucky wasn't so sure that he succeeded with that. Especially not judging by the curious way that Sam was looking at him. Which was exactly why Bucky consciously chose not to look at Sam.

Thankfully, he didn't have to avoid Sam's gaze for long. Commotion from the French doors behind Steve and Bucky gained everyone's attention. Appreciatively, Bucky turned to look at his parents and their dogs as they entered the house.

"Easy," George reminded the dogs as Thor jumped over the back of the sofa that Steve and Bucky were sitting on. Completely neglecting his own well-being along with the two teens that he jumped on. Loki, on the other hand, had dignity as he strolled around the furniture to jump on Sam.

"Tibby still sleeping?" Winifred questioned, ruffling Bucky's hair on her way to the kitchen.

"Yup," Sam confirmed, earning a warm smile from George and a harsh whack from Loki's tail to the arm.

Winifred on the other hand, stated, "We better wake her up."

"I suppose," George agreed with a sigh, "Gotta make sure she sleeps tonight."

"Definitely," Winifred agreed, popping a cherry tomato into her mouth. Turning her attention to the boys, she conversationally questioned, "Got any plans tonight?"

"Uh, I don't --"

"Going back to my place," Steve spoke over Bucky while they both gave Thor belly rubs.

When Bucky glanced over at Steve, he found a persuasive grin on his face. Looking over at Sam, Bucky was surprised to find an agreeable grin on his face. So, it was decided. They were going to Steve's.