Forty-Five

"Shh," Bucky heard Sam whisper, "Did you get it?"

"Duh," Natasha whispered right back.

Slowly, Bucky was waking up. At the precipice of going back to sleep or greeting the new day. For a moment, Bucky heavily debated what he wanted to do. His sleeping bag was warm, the air around him cozy, and the comfort of knowing that Steve was beside him was too tempting to get up. Even if their other friends were awake and had possibly done something to them. Like drew on his face.

However, it was Steve's birthday, and that alone was enough to push him over the awake side. He had missed too many of Steve's birthday and he'd be damned if he slept through this one.

As Bucky further awoke, he grew more aware of his surroundings. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was playing softly on the TV, and the hushed whispers of the conversations were heard, but not distinguishable. Above, on the main level, Conner's giggles and playful squeals broke through the quiet, and Bucky knew that he needed to wake up.

Stretching, Bucky immediately stopped. His heart stuttering in his chest as he realized that his pinky was still linked with Steve's. Bucky didn't remember falling asleep with their pinkies still hooked with one another's, but he didn't remember removing their hold after the promise either. And, evidently, they hadn't.

Opening one eye, Bucky peeked over at Steve. The blond was still asleep, and Bucky thought about laying there until he did. He didn't want to disturb the birthday boy, after all. And sure, it would've been nice to start his day by staring deeply into those beautiful blue eyes, but this view wasn't that bad either.

Bucky would like to say that he was surprised to find them practically holding hands, but he wasn't. Growing up, it wasn't unusual to find Steve cuddled up to him on the floor with their forearms resting along one another's. Growing up, they had always folded into each other. Arms pressed against arms. Legs dangling down together.

It had never been unusual for them to be close. Yet, Bucky couldn't deny how light he felt in that moment with Steve's pinky linked with his. It was as though he woke up on Cloud Nine rather than on the Rogers' renovated basement's floor.

"Shh," Sam shushed from the sectional sofa.

At that, Bucky knew that his friends knew that he was awake, and were talking about him. With those pieces of information, Bucky knew that he had to let go of Steve's finger and finally start his day. No matter how much he wanted to just ignore them and continue laying there.

Keeping his head on the pillow, Bucky moved his head until he could look up at the sectional sofa. Finding Nat sitting between Sam and Clint, each with coffee mugs in their hands and large smiles on their faces. Yup, they were talking about him. More than that, they all were aware of his crush on Steve.

"God," Bucky softly groaned in annoyance as he told the trio on the couch, "You guys need to get a life."

"We'd rather be a part of yours," Natasha teased while Sam joked, "Ooh, that morning voice sure does some funny things to me, Barnes."

Keeping his finger linked with Steve's he still managed to stretch, and laughed at Sam's comment as he scoffed, "You're such an asshole."

"Aw, you love me," Sam stated, a smirk clear in his voice as he playfully waved his foot above Bucky's face.

"Nah, he loves Steve," Clint corrected, causing Bucky to go rigid on the floor and immediately focused his eyeline on the still sleeping Steve. From the sofa, someone must have slapped Clint because Bucky noted the skin-on-skin sound and Clint's harsh complaint, "Hey!"

"Quiet," Natasha warned in her menacing tone. Natasha was the type to fear. Sure, she looked like a cinnamon roll and, for the most part, she was. But god help those who ever harmed someone she loved.

As Bucky reluctantly -- and carefully -- removed his finger from Steve's grasp, he finally moved to sit up. Stretching his arms high above his head, he could feel just how sore his body was from sleeping on the floor. But being fully aware that he would sleep on the floor every night for the rest of his life if it meant that he could sleep beside Steve.

"What? You think that Steve doesn't know?" Clint scoffed.

Whipping his head around to look at the other blond, Bucky questioned, "What does that mean?"

Clint studied Bucky for a moment and sheepishly shrugged, "I mean, you're not exactly the most subtle person." To lighten the mood, Clint smirked and said, "No offense."

Nervously, Bucky glanced down at Steve. He still seemed to be sleeping, but that didn't stop Bucky from worrying. What if they were right? What if Steve knew?

Bucky felt sick as he thought about all the things that he's done since being back in town and how those things could be construed out of context. Or how they could've been construed even with context.

Chewing on his lower lip, Bucky helplessly looked over his friends' encouraging grins. That just made him feel worse, if he was being honest. Instead of focusing on that though, he gestured towards the coffee in their hands and without having to actually speak his needs, Natasha handed over her drink.

Graciously taking the mug from her small hand, Bucky ignored the disgusting fact that she always used too much creamer in her coffee, and downed it. Chugging it as a distraction and a necessity.

If Steve knew...

I'm fucked.