Fifty-Three

"So," Sam started once they were left alone in the house.

Glancing over at Sam on the other sofa, Bucky studied his friend. He was sure he knew what Sam wanted to talk about, but still, he swallowed thickly and prompted, "So...?"

"Dude," Sam gave Bucky a pointed look, and Bucky pressed his lips together to stop himself from laughing. Sam narrowed his eyes and said, "C'mon, now."

Bucky shrugged and admitted, "I don't know what you want me to say."

"Well," Sam stretched out his legs on the sofa. Casually crossing his arms along his chest, Sam assumed, "You like Steve. Start there."

"I --" Bucky paused. Honestly, Bucky wasn't sure how to start. There was so much that Bucky could -- and wanted to -- say about Steve. So much of his life had been spent with Steve, and Bucky knew that he could talk for years about the handsome blond. So, Bucky confessed, "I don't know where to start."

"Jesus, dude," Sam good-naturedly scoffed. Shaking his head and scrubbing his hand over his face, Sam told Bucky, "I always knew that you were romantic, but I never knew that you were this hopeless."

"Yeah, well," Bucky pressed his lips to keep his grin small as he joked, "Dudes dig it."

"Shut the fuck up, man," Sam chuckled, tossing a throw pillow at Bucky.

Bucky caught the pillow and joked, "Ya know what, I'm going to take all of these --" waving the throw pillow "-- and hide them."

"Bruh," Sam teasingly protested, "Why?"

"Because I'm tired of being hit with these!" Bucky exclaimed, waving the throw pillow again.

"You need to chill," Sam stated with arched brows. Mockingly, Sam amended, "No, you need to get laid."

Blushing, Bucky tossed the pillow back at Sam. Sure, Bucky had thought about being with Steve. But Bucky didn't want to think about that right now. So, he teased Sam, "You offering."

"Please," Sam scoffed and gestured at himself, "You wouldn't know what to do with all this Grade A certified beefcake!"

Playfully, Bucky rolled his eyes. Bucky would be a liar if he said that he hadn't crushed on Sam at some point in their friendship, but Bucky knew that even if Sam was interested in men, they would be awful together. As friends, they worked. Anything else probably would've been disastrous. Which is why Bucky was glad that they were strictly platonic.

After a moment, Sam stated, "Steve seems pretty into you."

Bucky bit his lower lip and averted his gaze down to his lap as he confirmed, "Yeah, I think so too."

"So, uh," Sam started, waiting for Bucky's attention before he asked, "Where does his girlfriend fit in all of this?"

Purposely keeping his gaze on his lap, Bucky shrugged and sheepishly admitted, "I haven't thought about it."

"What do you mean you haven't thought about it?!" Sam questioned, baffled. Cautiously, Bucky glanced over at Sam and knew that he'd never be able to tell him about how he found out that Steve felt the same. Sam warned, "This isn't just your heart. It isn't just Steve's. This involves another person who doesn't deserve to get their heart broken. So, you better be damn sure that this is what you want."

"I know," Bucky quietly agreed, swallowing down the guilt from kissing a boy who had a girlfriend. The guilt of knowing that he would be the reason why an innocent girl's heart was broken.

Even though Bucky's eyes were downcast, he could feel Sam watching him. The energy radiating out of Sam's body wasn't a pleasant one. Especially not when he asked, "Did you -- I mean, you didn't... do... anything... right?"

"Oh, totally," Bucky deadpanned, "I'm surprised that you and Clint didn't wake up."

"You're lucky you're cute," Sam retorted, tossing the pillow at Bucky.

"Is that a come on?" Bucky teased, only for Sam to stare blankly at him in return, feigning annoyance.

As the minutes ticked on with Sam keeping the same expression, Bucky was reminded why he always lost whenever they played poker. Yes, Bucky had a decent poker face, but it didn't come anywhere near Sam's.

Theatrically, Sam sighed and pleaded, "Just don't do anything stupid that you'll regret later on."

"Don't worry," Bucky reassured. Softly, Bucky confirmed, "I know what I want."

Sam nodded and asked, "Does he?"

Bucky was almost entirely certain that Steve knew, but he decided to half-mock, "I sure as hell hope so."

Giving the decorative sailboat clock on the top shelf a pointed look, Sam said, "I guess we'll find out soon." Causing those damn butterflies to start fluttering in Bucky's stomach.