Ch. 4

'You're what?' I asked Sana just to make sure I heard her correctly the first time.

'I am getting married' She repeated, blushing more than ever.

'With who? When did it happen?' I rushed in for the details.

'Slow down okay...his name is Wasim. My father used to work with his father years ago and they connected again just a few weeks ago...they came to our house for dinner and just yesterday they asked my parents for my hand in marriage' She answered. Our food was ready, so I went up and collected the food quickly from the cafeteria lady and returned to resume the conversation.

'How is he? Did you talk to him?' I asked her.

'Yes, a little bit...he seems like a nice guy' She replied.

'That's it?' I stared at her.

She pulled her eyebrows waiting for me.

'You don't even know the guy Sana...how can you just agree to marry him like that' I stated the obvious.

'Not all arranged marriages are bad Maya...besides you know what happened with Zeeshan Bhai...he married the girl he knew for years and they liked each other...look where he ended up' She told me about her elder brother who was now divorced. His wife of two years cheated on him. He was so devastated that he left the country because he wanted an escape.

'Still Sana...don't get me wrong I am happy for you, but times are changing' I tried to tell her my point of view.

'It feels right Maya. I didn't get a chance to get to know him too well, but I saw the way he behaved with his parents and mine. There was a sense of respect and care in him and that's what I expect from my husband...and you are right, times are changing and it's scary to give away your life to someone without knowing someone but sometimes you just have to stay hopeful and see what's written for you' She attempted to convince me.

'What about your education?' I asked her.

'Wedding is going to be after graduation, we are just a few months away from it any way that's why his parents want the engagement to take place soon, so we can get started on wedding arrangements' She seemed happy.

'I am sorry if I came across too harsh, I guess I am just too protective of you...but honestly, if you are happy then nothing else matters and I will always have your back' I told her, and her smile grew.

'I know...' She squeezed my hand.

'So...when is the engagement?' I asked her.

'Probably next week...they are still deciding on the date...I'll tell you as soon as I find out, so we can go shopping' She gave me heads up.

'Good...I'll tell Mama once I go home, she'll be thrilled with the news' I told her.

'I told Ammi to call aunty today, so I think she probably knows now...I wanted you to be the first one to know' She said to me. We spent the rest of the time planning outfits and makeup for her engagement. After attending the class, I dropped Sana off to her next class before heading home.

'Mama' I called out as soon as I entered the house, eager to tell her about Sana's engagement.

'Where is Mama?' I asked Ramsha who was in the of course in the kitchen. Her favorite place in the house for obvious reasons.

'Next door' She pointed out to Abbas uncle's house.

'Why?' I asked her.

'She made Biryani today, so she took some there' She informed me.

'Ahh, no wonder you're in the kitchen' I remarked as I caught her stealing a spoonful of Biryani out of the cooking pot.

'I'll go and see Anum ...I haven't seen in a while' I told her.