Ch. 7

'Mahmood Sir...I really appreciate that you're so concern about my future but I honestly don't see myself working in a firm which Mr. Zain runs...besides entrepreneurship is not my forte...' I argued with him. He was the one who called to set up a meeting for me with Zain at his office, so I could learn more about the opportunity directly from the owner of the company. Mr. Mahmood was a persuasive man, but Zain seemed a lot more strong-minded...then why did he agree to meet me even after I denied the internship offer?

'I know entrepreneurship is not your what you studied...but you have great transferrable skills and when Mr. Zain discussed this internship opportunity with me...I couldn't think of a better student than you to recommend him too...he didn't seem surprised when I told him that you denied the offer...maybe because of your first encounter with him in class but I talked with him and he is willing to give you another chance...so please go see him...his company is well known and I know you will do great in the role' He explained to me. From the beginning, Mahmood Sir was my mentor...he was the one who provided me with great career advice and moral support throughout my years in college.

'Okay... I will go see him' I gave in. Not because of Zain but because Mahmood Sir really wanted me to give this opportunity a chance to see where it takes me.

'Awesome...I will send him an email to confirm that you will come to see him today after class...go there with an open mind okay?' He looked at me from his computer.

'I will...thank you, sir' I was grateful that I had a teacher like him.

'See you in class' He nodded, and I left his office and went to the class.

'You sure you don't want me to come with you... I can tell Wasim to make a plan some other day' Sana asked me after class if I wanted her to come with me to Zain's office.

'No...don't...I'll be fine...you go with Wasim and have fun shopping' I teased her, and she rolled her eyes at me although I knew she was damn excited to see him. It was so wonderful to her so her happy. I wished her nothing but happiness and lots of love for the future. After we parted ways, I got a cab to go to Zain's office.

'Ms.Maya Malik...you can go inside now' After waiting for more than half an hour for him, my name was finally called out.

'You sure you're okay?' The reception lady looked at me with kindness. Before coming here, I tripped and fell by the staircase and she was the one who helped me. I wasn't hurt badly, but I was slightly limping, and my wrist was a little reddish.

'I am fine...thank you for helping me earlier' I smiled at her and went inside Zain's office. He was calmly seated on his chair looking through some file as I entered the room.

'Excuse me' I awkwardly said seconds later when I realized that he was not going to even glance up from his files to acknowledge my presence.

'Have a seat' He commanded and got up from his chair to put away the files in the cabinet. From the look of his office, I could tell he was a workaholic, there was a large sofa set, lot of filing cabinets...a coffee station...even a fridge. Did he also sleep here on some days?

'So...you decided to come' I heard him say as he walked back to his seat, his eyes were on me.

'Mahmood Sir asked me to come' I told him.

'You are here because he wanted you to come? That's it?' He questioned me.

'Yes...I am sure you have many people lined up for this role who are far more deserving than me...I am only here because of Mahmood Sir...he is my mentor and I know he recommended my name to you, but I don't want to get ahead in my career because of a referral. I want to get a job because of my talent and what I can bring to a company...it's not right if I take a space without going through a proper hiring process' I said to him. I didn't understand why I felt so short of breath when he was close by, but it made me feel weird.