Ch. 23

'Maya, now it's your turn to put henna...let's go' Sana's mother approached me while I was talking to the guests in the evening. Everyone was having such a great time, even though the ceremony was intimate, both sides of the groom and the bride were having a lot of fun, singing, and dancing. 

'It's fine Aunty I'll put it on later, there is so much to do' I told her, looking at the small booth where girls were getting henna done on their hands.

'Everything is fine...you go...I'll look at the guests don't worry' She grabbed my hand and took me to the booth so I can get my hands painted.

'Just a simple design on the back please' I extended both of my hands to the henna artist and she started drawing beautiful designs on it.

'Make sure the color comes on bright' Sana appeared behind me moments later and looked over my head to see how the design was coming along.

'Can't you be quiet...let her concentrate' I eyed Sana.

'And how come you're not getting your henna done?' I asked her.

'Getting it done tomorrow morning...and I am thinking about getting his name on my hand' Sana told me, dressed in a beautiful yellow dress with flower braid and bright bangles and glowing face, she was looking the most beautiful I had ever seen her.

'You should...I think it's very cute' I admitted.

'It is cute right...you should do it too...excuse me can you please write Zain on her hand' Sana quickly told the henna artist.

'Wait...no...' I turned and pulled my hand back noticing that the lady had already drawn the letter Z on my hand. 

'Sana....' I looked at her angrily.

'Can you please fix it...draw over it or something...' I hurried the girl, pleading her to fix the design.

'It will still show a bit...the color stain is pretty strong' She tried to fix it but I could still see the letter in my hand. Damn it.

'Come on no one will even notice it relax' Sana laughed behind me as she watched the show, enjoying my misery.

'But I see it Sana...you know what, go back to your seat and annoy Wasim instead...please' I was so pissed at her.

'Come on don't be like that...I am the bride, you can't be mad at me' She reminded me for the tenth time today. Since we got the event, she has made me do so many things for her. I was her personal assistant, fixing her dress, getting her food, taking her to the bathroom and now this. I couldn't wait to settle my scores with her.

'See...it's like it never happened' Sana stayed with me until I got my henna done. She tried to make me feel better but I could still see Z written on my hand.

'It's going to take forever to dry' I said feeling annoyed. I loved henna but hated waiting for it to dry.

'Okay, it's time to start the ceremony' Sana's mother in law came to us and took Sana to the table. Sana sat down next to Wasim and one by one each guest started coming to apply the henna paste on the leaf that was placed on the hands of the bride and groom followed by feeding them sweets to congratulate them.

'My turn' I shouted with excitement and went to get my revenge. I fed her sweets one after another and placed a small mixture of henna paste directly on her hands instead of the leaf.

'Love you' I hugged her as she cursed in my ear making me laugh.

'Love you too' She smiled as we parted. On my way to see my parents, I saw Zain and his family making their way inside the hall. I suddenly felt strange seeing him, a little surprised that he decided to come even though he told me he wasn't interested in these types of ceremonies. His family spotted my family and came to sit with us. I stood near my parents waiting for Anum as she went to put henna on Sana's hand.