Ch. 34

'You sure you're okay?' Sana watched me with concern as I tried to move my wrist. The pain was still there but the bandage and painkillers helped to ease the inflammation. Just as I made a turn to reach Sana's house, I was stopped by a group of guys and one of them had a gun. They took away my purse, my phone and one of them tried to pull out my engagement ring from my hand. I kept resisting so he twisted my hand and threw me on the ground before running out of the street. It's good that Wasim Bhai was at work or else the situations would have exhilarated and the news would have reached Zain.

'We should go to the doctor' She said to me.

'I don't want to go anywhere and don't tell anyone about this please' I asked her. Wasim Bhai and Sana had to return from their honeymoon because he had a lot of workload and he promised her that he'll take her on a proper trip once he completes his project at work. Sana didn't mind that at all, she was glad to be back and seemed to like how the timings worked out so she could attend my Nikkah. The thought of my Nikkah left me feeling worried all over again.

'There is a light bruise on your forehead too...let me go get you some ice' She went away. I stared at my ring in my hand and saw how much important it was to me. I risked my life for this ring without realizing how much it was going to hurt if I had gotten more injured because of it. What if the guy had shot me?

'Here' Sana returned to the room and placed a small bag of ice cubes on my forehead gently.

'I got it' I took the bag from her hand.

'We should file a complaint at the police station' She said to me.

'Yes,' I agreed just so the topic will be over and closed my eyes as I rested my back against the bed board.

'You are not thinking about this...you are still thinking about Zain aren't you?' I opened my eyes and saw her gazing at me steadily.

'I know what he did was wrong but you love him and I see that he loves you too...are you going to be able to leave this entire thing behind and move on?' She asked me.

'Leaving is not the hard part Sana, it's just the way things unfolded that makes me so disappointed and sad...no matter where I go and what I do, I will always be reminded of him' I weakly said and she reached out to hug me.

'I'll get you something to eat okay?' She pulled back from me and went to the kitchen. I felt so tired of sitting still in such pain so I decided to follow her to the kitchen so I at least have some company.

'What are you going to tell your parents?' Sana glanced at me as she began cooking.

'I'll tell them I got robbed' I told her, there was no point in lying about what happened. I couldn't think of a better reason to use it as an excuse for my wounds and missing belongings.

'Good' She nodded with agreement and just then the doorbell rang.

'I'll get it' I was about to get up to get the door but Sana moved quickly to stop me.

'I'll get the door...you need to rest, must be the mailman' Her voice reverberated as she walked to the door. My eyes followed her. She opened the door and I peeked to the side who it was and saw Zain standing at the door. I got up from my seat and returned to the room before he could see me.

'Maya' His voice called out from behind and he rushed inside before Sana could stop him. I managed to reach the room and locked the room, preventing him from coming near me.

'Maya...open the door...what happened?' He slammed the door.

'I am fine...what are you doing here?' I answered him, suddenly my mouth felt dry while my pulse picked up its pace.