Ch. 9

Many things happened since I started my first job ever. One, the internship that was initially offered to me was given to someone who had half of the skills I had...and no I was jealous of the girl who had taken my position, but I just felt I was pushed to the side. Two, due to the lack of working space in the office, the intern was now working in the same office as me...we were officemates. Three, since the intern role required a lot of interaction with Zain, I pretty much had to see him all the time which was super annoying. He would often come to our cabin and sit with the intern for hours...just talking and explaining things to her. He never offered once to teach me anything. Everything was going against me. Maybe it was just some type of bad karma that was coming back to me or maybe I was just making one bad decision after the another...either way it was bad. But there was one ray of sunshine...Anum, she often checked up on me and because of her, I become quite decent friends with Salman and Saima. So, I guess it wasn't that bad but just sitting so far away from them all felt isolating. I felt as if this was a classroom and Zain was the teacher who really disliked me and wanted me to sit far away from my friends. Yes, he was that teacher in my life.

'Can you please get that' The intern by the name of Bisma, who considered me as her personal assistant for some reason asked me to get the door because she was apparently busy talking to someone on the phone. Instead of arguing with her, I decided that it was in my best interest to stay out of her way and just do my thing. I opened the door and Zain walked in a hurry. Bisma noticed him and ended the call shortly. She often did things like that, but Zain never said anything to her, but he was constantly rude to me, accusing me of doing things wrong or messing his work. How come he never said anything to Bisma? I went back to my seat and started organizing the files which were still nowhere being done.

'I have a meeting this afternoon and I want you to take minutes in the meeting' I heard him say to Bisma.

'Sorry...what?' She gave him a dumb look which made me laugh but I hid it before any of them could notice and lower my head,  trying to put my attention back to the files.

'Notes...I want you to take notes during the meeting' He told her.

'I have never taken notes in a meeting' She told him. That was the point of an internship you idiot, I thought to myself.

'That's why I want you to do it...what are you doing right now?' He asked her.

'Oh...I was just...organizing my desk...and looking at the reports you wanted me to edit' She made up a convincing story.

'Hmm...good' He seemed satisfied with her response. How could he not see that she was literally doing nothing?

'What about you?' He quickly turned around and caught my eyes which were already on him.

'Files' I gave him my best fake smile and hold up a file towards him.

'Why is it taking you so long to finish with these files? You should have completed it by now' He looked down on me.

'What do you think I do when I am here, Sir? Do you think I sit here and play games on the phone and pretend that I am working when you walk into the room?' I stared back at him. I tried so hard to ignore his cruel remarks, but I had enough.

'That's not what I...' He started to backtrack as soon I held him accountable, but I was nowhere done.

'I think that's exactly what you meant Sir...I feel like no matter how hard I try I always fall short in front of your eyes...filing may seem like an easy task but the client files that you have kept are extremely unorganized and I don't consider my work done unless I am sure it's done right so please don't say that I could have finished it last week' I told him how I felt.