Chapter 8: A Grand Piano

I lay on the old couch of the indoor balcony. There's nothing to do. The autobots are working a plan to obtain the Iacon relics. I would help, but I'm tired. The kids are playing around with Miko's electric guitar, which I absolutly hate. I mean, I don't hate it entirely, I just don't like heavy shriek metal. That's definitely not what I grew up with on Cybertron. I take my cell out and dial Joseph's number. After a few rings, he finally answers.

Lucas: Hello?

Me: Hey. I thought I would call. You haven't given me the update on life.

He laughs on the other end.

Lucas: Well, I miss having my best friend with me.

I miss him too, but I can not put my friend at risk. He'll just be another Decepticon target. And I will not see another close friend die.

Me: I miss you too, but you know I can't be there right now. I'm busy with work.

Lucas: You're working? You have a job? When have you told me this?

Me: Listen, I know that I have been keeping my distance from you lately, but, It's for your own safety. I'm trying to protect you.

Lucas: Protect me? From what?

Me: Well that's the thing. Would you be any safer if I told what I'm trying to protect you from?

Lucas: Hmmm. Let me think about this--Yes. I would be safer. Tell me.

Me: Sorry, kiddo. No can do.

Lucas: You do realize that we're the same age?

No actually we're not. I am a whole lot older than you, Luke. About several eons apart.

Me: You have no idea.

Lucas: I thought so. Listen, I gotta go. Maybe we'll see each other soon?

Me: Oh you wanna set up a play date? Sure, tomorrow at my house. Make sure to bring your barbie dolls.

He lets out a series of uncontrollable laughter, and I join him. After that was over, he plays along.

Lucas: Yes, and I'll bring my Ninja Turtle toys as well. You got the doll house? And the toy cars? You can't have a play date without toy cars!

I begin in guffaws once more. Except this one was so hard that I fell off the couch grabbing my stomach. I even get teary eyed.

Lucas: DON'T YOU DARE FORGET THE TOY CARS!!

I continuously roll on the ground trying my best to contain my laughter. I don't want to disrupt the autobots.

Me: Stop it. I'm dying here!

Lucas: Okay, okay. I seriously have to go now. It's for realzies.

Me: For realzies? Okay. Bye, Luke.

Lucas: Bye.

I was about to close the phone when his voice rings through again.

Lucas: And Jewel!

I bring the phone up to my ear again.

Me: Yeah?

There's a slight silent pause until he speaks again, but in a low whisper.

Lucas: Don't forget the toy cars.

Me: Shut up, go away.

I cut the line and shove the phone in my pocket. Oh, what a laugh. I listen carefully to the beat Miko is playing. Lets see. She's not depressed or sad. She's actually happy. Then again it's by her moves because I can barely hear anything. Doesn't she have any other instruments? Something else is missing here. This place needs a low peaceful atmosphere. A piano, perhaps.