Chapter 15

Rose's POV

I went to the rooftop and found Lisa there smoking a cigarette. I stood behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist. "I knew you'd be here," I said.

She sniffled. I turned to face her. "Wait, are you crying? What's going on?"

"It's Jennie... She's dead, Rosie."

"The girl from your support group? What happened!?"

"She overdosed."

"Oh my god..."

She started sobbing. "We talked the day before she died... I dunno, Rosie, maybe I should've said something... or done something different. Fuck..."

"Lisa, it's not your fault. Don't blame yourself."

"Everything's a fucking mess..."

I held her closer to me. We stood there in silence with her head on my shoulder. Suddenly, a white feather fell on top of Lisa's head. She picked it up.

"Oh, look at that," I said. "When I was a kid, my grandma used to say that when you're having a hard time and you suddenly see a white feather, it's your guardian angel letting you know that they're with you... and they're trying to fight the demons in your head."

"You didn't just make that up?"

"I didn't. I promise."

She gave me a weak smile and said, "Guess I'm gonna keep this."

-At the funeral-

I came with Lisa to Jennie's funeral. We gave our condolences to her family and paid our respects. While Lisa was talking to Mr. Kim, I got a phone call. I excused myself to the bathroom.

"Uh, hey mom, what's up?"

"Rosie, sweetie, how are you?"

"I'm fine, mom. How about you?"

"I'm fine, too, sweetie. Actually, I called to tell you that we got your acceptance letter from the Australian Institute of Music today. Sweetie, you got in! isn't it great?"

"What!? Wow... that is great mom."

"You don't sound happy. What's wrong?"

"Um, I'm actually at a funeral right now."

"What? Whose funeral?"

"A friend of a friend's."

"Oh okay. Just so you know, if you're planning to take this scholarship, you'll be starting next semester. So fix everything you need so you can come back here, okay?"

"Yeah, okay mom."

"Bye. Love you."

"Love you, too."

I hang up. All my life, that's all I wished for. I looked at myself in the mirror.

Then why aren't you happy?