xii

Scarlett

I was struggling to find something to wear to the concert with Luke. The last few times I’ve gone out Blake has helped me with an outfit. Finally I put on a long sleeved white, lace crop top and a pink skirt. Without Charlotte here to do my hair I let it go naturally wavy, and looking in the mirror I like the way I look. Naturally me.

            “Where are you going?” My mom stops me from getting to the door.

            “Out,” I state still upset over our argument a few days ago.

            “With that boy?”

            “No, just a friend. I’ll be back later.” I push past her and out the door to wait for Luke, who pulls up a few minutes later. I’m not surprised to find him dressed in all black. A Vans off the wall t-shirt, a black jacket and skinny jeans. His blonde hair perfectly styled up into a quiff.

            “Ready for the best night ever?”

            “Yes!”

            “You having fun?” Luke shouts over the music. Mariana’s trench is transitioning from Ever After to Fallout.

            “Yes! They are so good live!” I turn slightly to face Luke who I thought was towering behind me though he is bent down by my ear. Our faces are centimeters apart. “I know you’re fine, but what about me?” The song builds in the background and at the last second Luke pulls back to stand straight up. The concert finishes up a few songs later and we join the masses flooding the building. Cool night air hits my flushed face, reliving me from the heat of the venue.  “Um so I’ll see you tomorrow to run through the scene?” I step out of Luke’s car onto the blacktop of my driveway, and bend down in the open window.

            “12:30 at mine?” He confirms and I nod in approval. After waving goodbye he pulls away down the street. I find myself mentally face palming for coming so close to kissing him again.

Luke

Second time I didn’t take my chance. I curse myself while driving home. Tomorrow couldn’t come fast enough. Every time I’m with Scarlett I only want more. Thankfully Ashton is at soccer practice today and won’t be home hopefully until Scarlett is gone. It seems I am just getting up and ready when she rings the doorbell. Her hair is the same wavy mess as last night and I love it. It suits her more than when she straightens it for cheerleading. We waste no time in starting to rehearse our scene. Somehow while acting it out Scarlett loses her footing and falls towards me again. “How are you a cheerleader?” I chuckle at her clumsiness.

            “Well I’m not really, I- I mean I am but I-“ she rambles not making any sense. Our proximity is incredibly close for the third time in a week. Silently telling myself to man up I lean forward just enough. We mold together perfectly as our lips move in synch. I swear my heart will beat out of my chest and I know she can feel it. My hand cups her cheek to deepen the kiss just before we break apart for air.

            “I’ve been wanting to do that for so long.” My voice is low and I can’t wipe the smile from my face.

Ashton

             “So you gonna come help me pick up the ladies after the away game?” Calum opens his locker next to mine after practice. I grab my sweat-drenched shirt by the back and pull it over my head and off my body before answering.

            “I think I’m just going to hang out with Scarlett.”

            “C’mon man. She has you whipped! Please tell me you’ve at least tapped that by now.” My silence does everything to answer his question. “Seriously bro?”

            “No. Great things take time, alright? Like fine wine.”

            “Whipped!” A few other teammates cough, jumping into the conversation.

            “Nobody is whipped, okay? Ashton Irwin is not whipped.  Let’s just say I will be scoring more than goals at the away game!” The locker room erupts with cheers, slapping me on the back.

When I get home, Luke is sitting on the couch looking way too happy. “What’s up with you?” I set my duffle down by the door and walk to the kitchen.

            “Just a good day is all.”

            “Whatever.” His happiness is creeping me out, he’s usually so moody. “So are you coming with my dad and Liz to the away game?”

            “Yea, but I’m driving up with Michael I think.” I nod, not really interested in his answer.

            “Alright. How did working on your project with Scarlett go?” I fill a big glass of water and start to chug it.

            “Great. I think we’ll do good.” The smile on his face told me something else, but I’m less than worried about my geek step brother somehow having a chance with Scarlett.

oh hey, hi. 

Thoughts on the chapter? ;) 

Keep voting and commenting it means sooo much!! 

also thanks to anyone who has listened to the 8tracks playlist for this! I'm actually obsessed with it! xo -Rachel