29

Dangerous Liaisons
Season 3 Episode 14
Part 1

(Flashback October 1890 New Orleans)
Klaus and I are in his room discussing the fact that the witches of New Orleans are still pissed that I killed one of their own. I was trying to get the witch to find Stefan but she had other plans and tried to rip out my heart so I killed her in defense. It's been months since. I may or may not have pissed them off even further.

"Do you know how hard it is to exact revenge when your enemy is changing every five minutes? Do you?! Of course, you do. You have like thousands of them." I said and he starts laughing, "Why are you laughing?"

"I'm not. I'm not." Klaus says as he tries to hold his laughter but fails to do so and I start laughing with him.

"I've gone completely crazy, haven't I?"

He pulls me closer to him and looks at me with soft eyes, "No, you haven't." He says and kisses me. "I love you."

I pulled away and my mind went completely blank. I'm so nervous I can hear my heart beating fast.

"Uh, I...Thank you. I'm sorry. I—"

"Ava, you're not listening. You deserve someone worthy of you, someone better. I'm not that person and I..." Klaus says as he raises his hand to touch my cheek but I quickly grabbed it.

I did not expect him to tell me he loved me much less tell me I deserve someone better and that someone isn't him.

"Goodbye, Klaus." I said and walked away from him.

•••

I heard a knock at my door and went to open it and Klaus is standing there. He looks at the ground to see my bags on the floor.

"You're leaving?"

"I'm going to go find my brother who I haven't seen in decades." I said as he walks closer to me.

"Don't leave. I meant what I said, Ava. Just don't leave." He says and he kissed me.

I put my hands over his and moved them away from my face as I pulled away from the kiss.

"Don't. You don't get to tell me you love me and then say you're not the right person for me. You don't get to come here and tell me don't leave. You don't get to come here and kiss me. I don't need your pity. I don't need you feeling sorry for me. I don't need you."

The words come out before I could even stop myself and he looks heartbroken. He doesn't say anything and just walks out of my house slamming the door behind him.

•••

November.
It's been a month since I saw Klaus and since he told me he loved me. I'm still in New Orleans and I'm in a bar with Rebekah.

"You said that to him?" Rebekah asks, shocked.

"Yes, and I screwed up big time." I said and chugged the drink. I raised my glass for the bartender to pour me more and he does.

We continue talking and I'm drunk. Really drunk. I kept venting to her about Klaus and she is grasping to every word I tell her.

"He makes me laugh and I like the way he looks at me. Like I want to believe in myself. Like I'm the only person in the room. I can feel, like, what's the
word..."

"You can feel the love." Rebekah answers.

"Yeah, I can feel it when he looks at me." I said and Rebekah looks at me listening to every word. "Lastly, he is great in bed. Mind-blowing. He does this thing with..."