Chapter Seven: Truth Hurts

Jiri's POV

She was the last person on earth I'd wanted to see.

Once arriving, I prayed she wouldn't be at the arena.

But, of course, she was. And I just had to run into her; the girl, that at one time, was the only person I needed in my life, was now the one person I'd never wanted to see again.

"Jiri?" Cam Ward called.

"What?" I snapped, lifting my head from my hands.

"I just wanted to let you know that coach wants to see you after you're dressed and ready for the game."

"Yeah, whatever." I mumbled, placing my head back in my hands.

I finished getting all my pads on and headed down to the coach's office. I knocked once on the door and was immediately invited in,

"Come in, Jiri. Take a seat."

I sat down at the chair in front of his desk and waited patiently for him to give me one of his lectures. He stacked some papers to the side of his desk and placed a pen behind his ear before continuing.

"So, I've asked to talk to you because I know the situation between you and the Leafs' coach's daughter, Misty," he started, "I want you to know that if you screw this game up, I'm scratching you for the next game. Got it?"

I nodded inanely and waited to be dismissed.

"Now go get ready for the game and put your issues aside for tonight."

I got up and left silently.

Deep down, I knew it was immature to still hold a grudge against Misty, but at one point, I trusted her and loved her more than anything in the world...

...Until she went behind my back and betrayed me.

As I entered the locker room, all eyes were on me. I met the glance of Jeff Skinner and Eric Stall, who had concern written all over their faces.

"Are you okay, Jiri?" Jeff piped up.

"I'm fine," I sighed, "We just need to win this game tonight."

Jeff quickly agreed, still sounding somewhat unconvinced.

"Want to get drinks with the guys later on tonight?" Eric asked cautiously.

"That would be great." I smiled, trying to hide the fact that I was completely pissed.

I looked up at the countdown clock and began to put my skates and helmet on. And with two minutes left on the clock, I made my way onto the ice.

I swear to God if she's behind the bench, I'll--

And there she was, her blonde hair poker straight with some light-brown highlights to match her big, copper eyes.

She looked almost the same as she did 8 years ago.

I tried to skate by the Leafs bench as discreetly as I could until my ex-coach began speaking to me.

"Hey, Tlusty," he said warmly, "How's Carolina treatin' ya'?"

A lot better than Toronto.

"Pretty good," I smiled, "But I do miss Toronto." I lied, resting my hand on the top of my stick.

He continued to make conversation with me until the rest of the guys made their way onto the ice. I refused to look Misty directly in the eyes. If I were to shift my vision slightly to the left, we'd be staring directly at each other.