Chapter Eighteen: Breakdown

"Jiri, what do you think got into you tonight?" One reporter asked. "Regarding your fight. What made you want to fight Jakub Voracek?"

I had an answer, but I really don't think it's something everyone in North Carolina needed to know about.

"It's personal," I snapped, "Next question, please?"

Though, I really didn't want to talk anymore, I still thought I'd see what the rest of those dimwits wanted to say.

I took a sip from my water bottle before another reporter began to speak. She was a little hesitant at first.

"I think that's all for today," she stuttered, "Thanks, Jiri."

"Anytime." I replied, smirking wryly.

Finally. They're gone.

I took a sigh of relief and plopped down in my stall. Looking around, I watched as the guys stripped from their gear. 

Obviously, I quit looking when they were fully undressed. I just needed something to get her out of my head.

Her face when I punched Jakub will always be pasted in my memory. Her beautiful blue eyes stunned, with a spark of sadness and anger. 

It was permanently traced into my brain. 

My mind continued to wander until I was brought back to reality with a tap on the shoulder.

"J," Elias chuckled, "Did you hear anything I just said?"

I shook my head no in response, trying my best not to look him - or anyone, for that matter.

"So, do you want to come to the bar with us or not?"

As I thought about it, my gut told me that a guy that gets ejected from the game doesn't deserve to go out and celebrate. 

Especially when his team just lost 4-2. 

But, my mind told me I needed something to get my mind off of... Life.

"Sure," I smiled, finally looking up at Elias' expectant face, "Sounds like fun. I'll meet you guys there in twenty."

Elias explained to me where they were going and how to get there. I listened intently and wrote down the address. 

It was a bar we'd never went to post-game. And I'd never heard of it, either.

"See ya'." Elias chuckled as he headed out the locker room.

"Yeah." I mumbled under my breath, only loud enough for me to hear.

I continued to sit there for a few moments, thinking about everything. Thinking about Misty, Jakub, everything. All the bad, all the good. 

Everything before draft day was basically a hysterical blur that I wish I could relive. 

If I had the chance to react differently to that text, I would. I wouldn't go off on her and storm out, that's for sure.

Thinking about it made me mad. I could feel my heart pounding and my chest moving up and down viciously.

Relax, Jiri.

I stood up and took a deep breath. Then, I started towards the door.

Once again, I was the only one left in the room.

---

"I didn't think you'd ever show your face!" Justin shouted across the bar as I entered the building.

"It's only 8:30." I laughed, rolling my eyes jokingly.

"Whatever," he smiled, "Get a drink and come join us."