Chapter Twelve: One Day Too Late

The car ride to the PNC Arena was deathly silent.

Not one time did Elias try to speak to me.

Maybe he still felt tension from last night, but I really had something to get off my chest.

"Elias?" I asked just above a whisper.

It took a minute before he answered. Possibly because the music was so loud.

"Yeah?" He replied, turning down the volume.

"I need to tell you something," I started, "You know how you were bugging me about being jealous about Misty last night?"

Elias nodded quietly as a smirk spread across his face. Clearly, he knew where I was going with this.

"Well, I think I am." I sighed.

"I miss her so much," I frowned, "And with the way I treated her last time, I wouldn't be surprised if she never wanted to get together with me again."

The car ride grew silent again for a few moments until Elias pulled into a parking stall at the arena.

"I'm sure she still has feelings for you, Jiri," he started, "She was definitely throwing herself at you a few months back."

I nodded and bit my lip.

"But she's going out with Jakub." I said quietly.

"You know what," he started, "Why don't you just tell her you love her? The Leafs are coming to town in a few days, and besides, what else do you have to lose?"

"You're right!" I cried, opening the door and sliding out of his truck.
"I'll talk to her then!"

I headed off towards the arena in a hurry. My mind was racing and I couldn't contain my excitement; it almost felt as though I'd won the Stanley Cup.

As I emerged in the locker room, I had all eyes on me.

Honestly, I didn't care what they thought. I was on cloud nine.

"What's gotten into you, JT?" Jeff Skinner chuckled as he approached me at my stall.

"I'm just excited for tonight's game." I lied.

I wasn't completely ready to tell the guys the great news, considering it wasn't official yet.

Jeff definitely didn't look convinced, but decided to drop the conversation and go back to Eric Staal.

What if she doesn't want me anymore?

What if she's moved on?

What if she really is in love with Jakub?

All these questions flooded my head. As much as I wanted to be hopeful, something was telling me not to get my hopes up.

Luckily, mere moments later I was able to push those thoughts to the back of my mind and finish getting ready.

---

"Here, here!" I shouted towards Jeff, smashing my stick against the ice repeatedly.

Finally, I received the puck and skated it up along the boards, dodging through PK Subban and Alexei Emelin.

I found myself 1-on-1 with Carey Price. There was no one around to pass to, so I lined up my shot. I could tell Carey was planning to make a glove save, so I shot the puck bellow the blocker.

In the blink of an eye, the red light above the goal was blaring.

I scored an OT winner for the Carolina Hurricanes!