Chapter 6 - Rochester (1933)

I arrived in Rochester (NYS) under the cover of night. I could not see the moon or stars due to a think layer of clouds that covered the sky.

This could be a good place for me to live. The clouds would block the sun meaning my skin wouldn't expose me.

The next morning I realised I had changed clothes since I'd left Angmering. There wasn't a speck of blood on my outfit but that was probably due to my swim across the Atlantic.

I had hunted yesterday but would need to hunt later today due to the thirst that began only minutes after I had fed.

The covering of clouds was still there in the morning. I ventured out onto the street to look for a clothes shop. I might even be able to buy a house here and stay for a while. Until it got too strange for me to still look like this.

It was then that I realised I didn't have any money. The small amount my Nanny had not taken and given to me, I had left in England. There went those plans. I might have to steal some clothes when night returned.

As I walked down the street I noticed several pieces of paper that where stuck to lampposts and shop windows. Dominating the paper was a headline in bold red letters reading 'MISSING'. Underneath was a picture of a girl. She looked maybe 19 or 20 but what stood out most about her was undeniable beauty.

Her golden blonde hair, which looked glossy and soft even through the picture, hung past her shoulders to where the picture couldn't see. Striking blue eyes, soft pink lips, a perfectly straight nose and a flawless complexion created an exquisite face. Her beauty would rival a vampire's and a vampire was perfect much like this girl.

The writing under the picture read.
'Missing - Rosalie Hale. Last seen Friday 10 January on North Clinton Avenue. If you have any information regarding Rosalie Hale, why she might have disappeared, where to, or who might have kidnapped her please contact the local police station.'

Rosalie Hale. Poor girl.

As I walked past a news stand I caught sight of another bold heading. This one read 'Murder Mystery in Rochester'.

I picked up the newspaper and began to read. The article read:
'Within the past 10 days 5 murders have occurred in our city of Rochester as well as one disappearance. One man from out of town, visiting Royce King, was murdered along with our very own Royce King and three of his friends. Royce King, and his friends, were last seen along the same road as the soon to be Mrs King, Rosalie Hale, who disappeared two weeks ago today. The murders started 3 days later with one man being killed each night. We are still unaware of who is behind these crimes or whether they are related at all though at the moment the evidence suggests that they are.'

I placed the newspaper back on the stand. Maybe Rochester was not the best place for me after all.

-~-

Shoutout to: @thehostsize 💜💜💜