Chapter 24 - Battle Part 1

This is a short chapter but I'm about to go to bed so can't write any more right now and I wanted to get this small part done. I'll write part two of this tomorrow and possibly the next chapter as well. Xx

We could hear the newborns approaching and Alice kept us updated on what they were doing.

The numbers had settled at 21 so we weren't that outnumbered.

As predicted, the newborns split into two groups as the they neared the clearing, having caught both Bella's and the rest of our scents.

The wolves were waiting to ambush one group whilst we were waiting for the other. This may be the only time I will ever be grateful for the wolves. Without them, that chances of one of us dying would be so much higher and I could face any more loss right now.

Then I saw them. They came charging at us and we immediately jumped into action.

I'd forgotten what a fight like this felt like. Not an adrenaline rush as our brains don't produce the same chemicals as a human brain, but whatever the vampire equivalent would be.

I was on high alert, my senses sharp and focused.

The first newborn I collided with wasn't much of a fighter; one kick to the stomach and she was down, where I quickly ripped off her head and threw it to the other side of the clearing, but not too far knowing we would need to burn all the pieces once this was over.

Rose was surrounded by three newborns, but was holding her own very well. I ran at them and tackled one to the ground, successfully taking them out. I snarled as I tore his arms from his body, followed by his head.

"Thanks, Ellie," I heard Rose call as she finished off the other two.

Then I noticed something, something unexpected.

Jasper was fighting two newborns at once, about to finish them both off. He really was an excellent fighter. He quickly tore the head off one and was about to destroy the other when I launched myself at the newborn, knocking them down and out of Jasper's reach.

Leaving me to finish off the newborn, Jasper immediately turned to take on another.

The newborn I had knocked away from Jasper was pinned down, with me on top of them. I looked down, my eyes meeting theirs as I breathed out one word.

"Kyle."