Chapter 19 (Part 2) - Run

I was still very annoyed about Victoria but there was nothing I could do. There were also more pressing concerns at this current moment.

I began to run back to Denali. It should take me about 10 hours if I run as fast as I possibly can. I should be able to make it back before Alice and Bella reach Italy though it would be too long to go without letting the others know what's going on.

So, I pulled my phone out of my pocket to call them. I didn't want to talk to Rose. I was mad at her for telling Edward and causing this whole mess. I didn't have Carlisle or Esme's numbers (I need to get them when I get back). I didn't particularly want to talk to Emmett either, just because he's Emmett and I wasn't in the mood for that.

Jasper it is I decided, clicking his name in my phone.

"Ellie?" Jasper answered immediately. "What's going on?"
"Long story short: Edward's gone to Italy to die because he thinks Bella's dead, only she's not, so Alice and Bella have gone to try and save him."
"Alice has gone to Italy? To face the Volturi?"
"Essentially, yes, that's what's happened. I'll explain more when I get back. And tell the others what's going on."
"I will," he said. "I'm going to call Alice to see how things are going for them."
"Ok, let me know what she says."
"Will do, Ellie. See you soon."
"See you soon," I answered before I hung up.

I pushed myself to run faster.

-~-

A few hours later, my phone rang. It was Jasper.

"Jasper?" I said after picking up the phone "How are Bella and Alice doing?"
"Fine. They're won a plane and should be in Volterra by tomorrow."
"Tomorrow? So much could happen by then. Edward could be killed by then!" I could here the panic in my voice rising. My breathing sped too.

What if they didn't get there in time? What if they were too late to save my brother?

Why hadn't I gone with them? I cared too much about seeing Demetri, who I had no interest in, to go and help save my brother. I could have done so much more from there than here.

"Ellie, calm down," Jasper said "I'm sure they'll be fine. Plus, Edward hasn't decided how he's going to act yet and he needs to speak with the Volturi before we know how it will play out. They'll get there in time," he assured me. I didn't know whether he truly believed that or whether he was just trying to calm me down.
"Ok. I'm not that far away but I'm still in Canada. Is everyone back from hunting?"
"Yes, we're all here," he told me. "You shouldn't be more than a few hours away. See you soon."
"Bye."

This time Jasper hung up. I could only hope Bella and Alice reaches my brother in time to save him.

-~-

It wasn't long before I could see the house. Everyone was there, including all the Denalis.

And Rose. I couldn't believe she'd told him. If she'd just let me tell my brother the news, like I'd told her I was going to, then none of this would have happened. Nor would it have happened if she'd actually checked with Alice that we'd found Bella was dead once we'd reached Forks.

I could feel my anger growing as I approached the front door.

I walked in and my eyes met with Rose's before they narrowed and a growl escaped my lips.