Chapter 16 (Part 2) - Denali

"Eleazar? Carmen?" I asked, staring at them.
"Eliana?" Carmen sounded as equally surprised as me. "I wasn't expecting to see you."
"Me neither."
"Wait," Rose interrupted, "you already know each other."

"We bumped into each other awhile back," I explained "1919, I think."
"I see you did stick to the diet," Eleazar added.
"Yes. It worked out pretty well most of the time." I didn't really want to go into the details of my time in the army.

"Anyway, these are our other coven members: Tanya, Kate and Irina," Carmen said, gesturing to them in turn. All three were blonde with similar bone structure and statures and were extremely attractive. They looked very much like sisters.

Everyone proceeded to greet each other before Tanya said "Why don't we all go inside?"

Once in their living room Tanya spoke again saying "I'm a little disappointed not to see Edward with you." Just from that one sentence I could tell she liked my brother. From her tone, the look in her eyes, it was clear she wanted him here and didn't get nearly as much opportunity to be with him as she would like.

"Edward is currently dealing with some somewhat unpleasant things in his life right now," I told her in a partially rude tone. I knew how he felt now, now that I had lost Kyle.
"So there's no chance of him coming to stay for a few days?"
"No, Tanya," Carlisle answered before I could retort.

A low growl escaped my lips before I could do anything about it causing Tanya to turn to me with wide eyes.

"Ellie," Rose warned from next to me.

"Erm, what was that for?" Kate asked.

"Edward is really struggling right now and I don't particularly want to see you thinking of my brother that way, especially when you're not mates, or see you desperate to get him here just so you can have some time with him to try to convince him you'd be good for him."
"Excuse me?" Tanya asked taken aback. "Who do you think you are?"
"Edward's sister," I answered.
"You're all adopted siblings yet none of the others ever mention anything."
"No, I'm his actual sister," I told her.

"What?" She asked. "I didn't know Edward had a sister."
"Well, what does that say about your friendship?" I made sure to emphasise the 'friend' part. Tanya made a 'huff' sort of noise before Carlisle broke the awkward silence and the Denalis and the Cullens spoke about everything going on in our lives at the moment.

-~-

Our time in Denali was actually fun. Of course, Tanya and I didn't get on; I had barely spoken to her since that first day.

They had a lot of nice food options in Denali. My favourite, as always, were the grizzly bears though they also had black bears which were almost as amazing. The wolves weren't bad either. Even the herbivores tasted good, better than normal anyway. There were reindeer and moose and these weird goat-like sheep called Dall sheep.

Two weeks after we arrived, everyone was out hunting except for Alice and I who stayed at the house. I just didn't really want to spend a whole day with Tanya if I could avoid it and Alice agreed to stay with me. We had both agreed to go tomorrow as it had been awhile since we last hunted.

Rose and Emmett were out but not hunting with the others; they'd gone out somewhere together but I didn't know what they were doing. They'd said they'd come hunt with Alice and I tomorrow.

I was sat on the sofa watching the football game on TV whilst Alice was sat in the arm chair reading a fashion magazine.

"Yes!" I exclaimed as the Chicago Bears scored securing their win over the Vikings.

I wasn't particularly interested in watching the analysis of the game so I stood up to find a book but as I did I noticed Alice's eyes become blank. I stopped walking, waiting for the vision to be over so she could tell me what she'd seen.

"NO!" She gasped, her fists tightening round the magazine so it crumpled in her hands.
"What is it, Alice?" I asked, now concerned.
"No! No, no, no!" Alice's eyes came back into focus.
"What is it?" I asked again.
"She can't- No!" She was shaking her head, unbelieving of what she saw.
"Alice!" Her head turned to face me. "What did you see?"

She took a deep breath, her eyes meeting mine. She only said two words but they made my heart drop.

"Bella's dead."