10. crimes against humanity

They did it.

They had one job.

I ask them to not screw up the deal I made with Niklaus. What is the first thing they do? Right, Damon not only fed Elena blood, rendering the elixir Elijah had offered useless, but he also managed to piss off Niklaus.

I mean, sure, I was mad that Nik had taken Tyler and Caroline, but he was testing the group of imbeciles. Obviously, they failed.

How did I find all of this out, you may ask? Well, I was still looking through old journals that held knowledge concerning the Original family, and I still came up blank. All of the journals raced on and on about how the doppelgänger had to be eliminated in order for the curse to be broken. It seemed a little bit harsh to me. I mean, obviously nature asks for balance, but it wasn't like Niklaus was dead and we were giving him life anew. I didn't understand why she had to be drained of blood to her quote on quote point of death. Like, how much blood is that? That would in theory be different for anyone, say she was a toddler or an older lady, wouldn't there have to be a specific amount of blood given? Furthermore, nature was demanding of justice, and she was innocent. Just because some girl was used in the ritual a millenium ago, why would another one have to be sacrificed? Why would she be punished?

I had just been in my head for a while thinking, when Damon called, explaining what he had done. After a quick scowling session, I moved the curtains from my bedroom, where I was sitting at, and gasped as I saw the moon was already almost at its apex.

I ran, and hoped that the Salvatores and Alaric, along with Elena's dad, had thought of a way for her to evade death, otherwise she would become a vampire, and I was sure that she was not prepared to go through that sort of transition.

I only had a sports bra on and shorts, so I threw on a red and black flannel top on, along with ripped black skinny jeans, and my combat boots, before running to the area Nik described the sacrifice would take place.

As I arrived, I clenched my jaw. The dirty blonde werewolf, Jules lay dead with her heart torn out over a rock. I wasn't particularly angry over that, she was the wolf I suggested to Niklaus, after hearing about the missing campers from a month back. She definitely deserved punishment for her crimes against humanity.

I was pissed and hurt, because in the two remaining rings of fire were not only Elena, but her aunt Jenna.

I let out a scream, and the wind picks up with intensity. "Niklaus!"

"Oh, Aella, I was beginning to wonder when you would show up." He turns and I notice Stefan a few feet in front of him.

"We had an agreement!" I shouted, my hands balling in frustration.

"Quite the predicament," Niklaus chuckles. "You know, it's funny, all this talk about preserving family, and here's Stefan, granting your wish." I gulp, knowing that Stefan is trying to take Elena's aunt's spot.

Elena, saddened by the news, whispers, "Stefan..."

Stefan replies, heartbreakingly, "It's okay."

"Well." Nik says, pointing a stake between Jenna and Stefan, "Who's it going to be, Elena?"

Elena, in defiance, stands her ground, "No."

Niklaus chuckles, "Oh, don't worry. There's actually no choice. You lot broke Aella's side of the deal."

Niklaus vamp speeds around Stefan and stakes him in the back, resulting in Stefan screaming in pain and crumbling to the ground.

Elena shouts, "No! Stefan! No!" while I remain quiet, tears streaming down my face.