31. the big spoon

"What are they doing now?" The gruff voice diagonal to me asks once more.

I sigh, stretching my petite form on my side of the queen bed. "As I said before, they're having a little high school bonfire party."

The Original grabs at my right hand and starts playing with my fingers.

"Why do you care anyway, didn't you leave your little Ripper guard dog over there for a reason?" I wonder.

"Yes..." Nik draws out and he kisses my fingertips, eliciting an explosion of butterflies in my stomach. "But how can I deny such a talent?"

"Well, there was something I did see..." I whisper only loud enough for him to hear.

He sits up immediately in attention.

"Your sister is totally flirting it up with Damon!"

He scoffs as the excitement leaves his features, before he hovers over me, caging me in. "You should know I don't react well to being teased." He huffs out lowly, before laying his body next to mine.

"Fine, you can be the big spoon." I roll my eyes, smiling widely at the wall next to me.

My paranoid mind wonders if our relationship is moving too fast, but I can't help but go with the flow and let things happen organically. I mean, we're spooning and we haven't even kissed yet.

My thoughts shut into a dreamless state as the comfort of his arms around me was felt.

He made me safe.

.

•THIRD POV•

Back at the Pickett Mausoleum, older doppelgänger and cunning vampire Katherine was lighting candles.

Mikael wakes up in his tomb, and speaks to her, "I apologize for my outburst. It would have made more sense had you known that I've been denying myself human blood for as long as I can remember. Why is it that you awoke me?"

He was curious for a couple of reasons, since he did not believe in harming the living for respite, and regular vampires knew not to mess with him. Not to mention he was shackled for a decade, in which even he couldn't free himself.

Katherine sighed, "I thought you might know how to kill Klaus. But something tells me that I've been sorely misinformed."

He wriggles his chains, furrowing his brows, "Would you mind helping me with these? I can assure you there's no way I can kill Klaus from beneath them."

Katherine finds herself filling with hope at the prospect of his words, "Does that you mean you do know how to kill him?"

Mikael smirks slowly and painfully from starvation, "I can kill Klaus. And I will."

She breaks his chains.

"Thank you."

Katherine is casual as she remarks, "A little blood will grease those muscles up real quick. Just saying..."