18. not very capable

I was sitting in the passenger seat, tapping my foot to the tune of the pop song playing on the radio. Nik drove, while Stefan took a nap in the back.

"Do you honestly enjoy this type of music?" Niklaus asked, simultaneously lowering the volume of the song blaring through the speakers.

"I've learned to cope," I shrug, "One can't get very picky as an immortal being." I look out the window as we get into in the city line. "I do enjoy Spanish ballads though."

A brow raised, Niklaus looked at me from the corner of his eye. "What brought on your interest?"

"Surely you've traveled further than Europe?" I sigh, "I learned the language, and I think that it is the most romantic I have come across. There are so many dialects too." For a moment I take in the bustling streets, thinking back to my past.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan." Niklaus wakes the vampire with a knowing smirk.

Stefan sounds fairly annoyed, "What are we doing here?"

"I know how much you loved it here. Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?" Nik is definitely up to something.

"Blacked out most of them." I cringe when he says this. "A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur." This sounds very familiar.

"Well, that is a crying shame. The details are what make it legend."

"You did not." I whisper shout, grabbing onto Niklaus' shoulder while looking directly him, which sends me into a memory lane that is not mine.

I looked around, the vision a little foggy. I was in what would be referred to as a bar today, the establishment filled with full tables, a young woman singing a song. Most men are in suits and ties or bow ties, while most women were in flapper dresses and gowns. This must be the twenties, I realize.

My ears particularly focus on the chatter of a table to the side, and I let my feet drag me there. At the table, I only recognize one man. Niklaus looks very handsomely tamed in his formal wear, and the way he styled his hair.

He begins talking, obviously unaware of my presence.

"Word was the ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was Prohibition. Everything was off limits then, which made everything so much fun."

In the vision, I hear the door to the bar dramatically opening just as the singer finishes her song.

"Guess who my eyes have just spied, ladies? Looking for a good time, Mr. Salvatore?"

I notice that the man that just walked in is Stefan. But he feels a little bit off, the side of his lip covered in a familiar crimson liquid.

"Save me a dance, Gloria."

I gasp out of the flashback, just as I hear Niklaus reminiscence, "Chicago was magical."

"Yeah, well, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I don't remember most of it."

Niklaus mocks, "Going to get down to business, then?"

I'm breathing a bit hard, but I'm glad I'm not being paid much attention as I turn my attention to calming down my heart.

"Why am I still with you?" Stefan wonders, "We had our fun, your hybrids failed. I mean, don't you want to move on?"

Tell me about it. Niklaus is so lonely.