27. thank you, anemia

Before I could flick my wrist and send Niklaus hurling through the air, Stefan enters the gym.

"Saved by the bell." I mutter underneath my breath.

"Stefan..." Elena says as her eyes lock to his, yet he seems to disregard her presence completely.

"Klaus." The younger Salvatore nods.

"Come to save your damsel, mate?" The Original addresses him, still not moving from the few feet between us.

"I came to ask for your forgiveness. And pledge my loyalty."

I almost snort, but don't because I don't want to infiltrate in the moment.

Niklaus tisks, "Well, you broke that pledge once already."

"Elena means nothing to me anymore." Stefan lies. "And whatever you ask of me...I will do."

"What?! No..." I literally face palm. Straight up, palm to face. What if the little mother trucker decides to ask him to bite his little human doppelgänger lover. He literally has no stupor.

Nik ignores the sound of my smacking and hairpulling by talking with Stefan again, "Fair enough. Let's drink on it."

Pointing to Dana and Chad, he says, "Kill them." My eyebrows about reach my blonde hairline at this. "What are you waiting for? Kill them."

Elena prostests, "No! Stefan, don't. He's not going to hurt me. He already said—!" She's cut off by Niklaus literally slamming her to the ground.

Stefan rushes over to Niklaus, his fangs out, but the older vampire simply grabs him by the throat.

"She means nothing to you? Your lies just keep piling up." Niklaus nearly shouts. At this moment he kind of reminds me of the best friend that feels left out as a third wheel on a date.

Stefan panicked, "Let her go! I'll do whatever you want, you have my word!"

"Your word doesn't mean much. I lived by your word all summer, during which time I never had to resort to this..."

I bit my bottom lip so hard, it started bleeding

I bit my bottom lip so hard, it started bleeding. Almost as if instinctually, Niklaus brings his attention to me. I don't know if he faltered for a second at the hunger for my blood, or knowing that this was against my wishes.

Nevertheless, he breaks his gaze from me, turning back to Stefan, and compels him. "Stop fighting."

"Don't do this, don't do this." Stefan pleaded, and a tear made it out of one of my eyes as they both glazed over in anger and frustration.

"I didn't want to. All I wanted was your allegiance. Now I'm going to have to take it."

I bet this is what he grew up thinking.

Stefan pleads once more, "Don't...Don't..."

"You will do exactly as I say when I say it." Niklaus compels, making the whole atmosphere harden, "You will not run, you will not hide, you will simply just obey."