Chapter 18

Jace's POV

In the half hour between Magnus telling us where Clary was, and us landing in Cleveland, Izzy, Alec and I got our weapons drew our marks, and planned our attack.

We were ready. I was ready. It had been five days since Clary had been taken, I don't know how bad she is, but I do know she is not to get any worse.

"This way." Magnus said as he lead us though the streets of Cleveland. We ended up stealing a car and taking it to the outskirts of the city. Finally we found the base. No mundie would be able to see it, only someone from the shadow world. From the outside it didn't look too impressive, it was run down, broken, and dusty. We cautiously entered the building, searching the place as a group before we eventually found a staircase leading down.

Down the stairs was a door that did not at all match the theme of the place. It was hi-tech, polished metal, and activated by a key pad.

"Magnus can you get us through?" Izzy whispered

Magnus only shook his head, "Its made from demon metal, not even the most powerful warlock could get through it."

"Alec give me your witchstone light."

Reluctantly he gave it to me, I turned it on and scanned the pad. It had nine numbers like a cell phone, and the light illuminated fingerprints on the 9, 1, 2, 4, and 3 keys. 'Five digit number code, all numbers used once' I racked my brain for a memory or clue to it. One memory flashed in my mind:

I peeked through the door way to the library where father and a strange man were talking:

"Who else have you found?" My father said

"Only the Penhallows, the Lightwoods, and Hodge so far" the weird man said in a husky voice.

"No Jocelyn?"

"Not yet but were still looking"

My father scoffed, "I run through the events in my head everyday from that day, the reckoning we caused, it was a huge success in the murdering, but curse my wife for ruining the rest."

"I agree, but do you know that some people in the shadow world are beginning to call it Valentines Day, the word is spreading throughout the whole world now, only the mundane meaning is completely different."

My father gave a small chuckle "I'm flattered, February 14th, 1993, Valentines day."

I flashed back to reality, and tried the code 2-14-93, and sure enough it worked. I handed Alec's witchstone light back, getting weird looks from the others but I dismissed them, and walked through the door.

We entered into the middle of a brightly lit tunnel going east and west, and curving around on either side.

Magnus stepped forward. "This way" he whispers walking int he east section of the tunnel. We walk cautiously in the tunnel for about a minute before before Magnus stopped abruptly and pointed at a door next to him, then he put a finger to his mouth and his ear to the door.

We all tried to listen in on the conversation going on inside:

"Between us, I think he's going to kill them before they give what he wants."

"I agree, it's too much, I enjoy watching it but I wouldn't be surprised if the one dies in the next week, have you seen their condition?"

"Yeah I went by the cell room yesterday to deliver the food, but that was before you know what happened."

"Ahh I haven't seen her after that either, but I'm delivering the food to them today, in a minute actually."

With that we backed away from the door when Magnus whispers: "Stay close together, I'm going to make us invisible."

I see the strain in his face as he makes us invisible right before the door opens and a man with a tray of food walks out. We quietly follow him all the way to a rusty locked door, he takes out his key unlocks and opens it. As he takes a step in I silently lift the butt of my seraph blade and connect it to his temple. He drops like a rock, and I see us become visible again.

Magnus leans back against the wall exhausted, while Alec moves away the unconscious guard. I look before us and see two connected cells, one with a girl that looks like a young teenager, looking intently at us. But in the other one I see a small girl with fiery red hair lying on her stomach, with a shredded shirt on her back...Clary.

I grab the guards keys and rush forward, my hands shaking with anticipation. I finally get into the cell, and slide down next to her.

"Clary-" I whisper before the girl in the other cell speaks:

"Don't touch her back!" her voice is panicked and urgent, I look over at her, and then down at Clary's back.

To my horror I see it completely slashed, wet, and covered with blood, and demon incor.

"They whipped her with a whip covered in demon blood" The girl says quietly. "It'll burn her every time you touch it."

I only nod, the tears already forming in my eyes, as carefully as I can I turn her over and put her head in my lap. She whimpers in pain, as I look into her beautiful beaten, dirtied, and bloodied face.

"Clary" I say quietly trying hard to not let my voice crack

After a few seconds she slowly opens her eyes and I smile down at her.

"Jace"

~~~~~~~

THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH FOR 2K READS!! You guys are awesome, I love you, thank you for your support, and feedback, and I will try to get the next chapter up as soon as possible!

~TMILegend