Chapter 20

Jace's POV

I landed in the front hall of the institute, Clary, still draped in my arms was even more pale then when I jumped into the portal. Suddenly Izzy came out of the portal right next to me.

"When Magnus comes through tell him to get to the infirmary immediately, then get Maryse."

She nodded and I took off towards the infirmary. What Castor had said to me replayed over and over again, and the bad part about it was that he was right about me. All anyone would have to do was look at the dying girl in my arms for proof of his words.

"I thought you were smarter then to go off after Sebastian"

"I thought you were better then this"

Part of me wished that the young girl hadn't killed him so that I could do it myself, so that I could have taunted him like he did to me.

I finally reached the infirmary and laid Clary down on her stomach. I tried an iratze in the center of her back but it just disappeared as if I'd never drawn it.

"Shit" I muttered and tried one on her leg but the same thing happened.

Suddenly Magnus came running in

"Iratze's aren't working what do we do?"

Magnus pressed his hand gently on her back then brought it up to his mouth.

"That's gross I thought only vampires drank blood."

Her glared at me then spit it out

"I was tasting the demon incor that's on her back so I could identify what demon it comes from, I don't drink blood."

"What demon is it from then"

"That's a good question because I don't know, I've never seen anything like it."

"Well then what are we going to do?" I repeated

Magnus thought hard for a second, then answered:

"Get me rubbing alcohol, and as much as you can."

I did as I was told brining him back three bottles of it. He poured it onto a white cloth then pressed it to the center of Clary's back. She was immediately woken from the intense sting, and screamed in agony from the contact.

"Magnus stop it's hurting her!"

"How else do you suggest we clean her back then huh? If we don't clean it soon the demon blood will continue to burn deeper into her skin, and we don't want to find out what that'll do. Jace this may take awhile and it will hurt her a lot, so I highly suggest you go outside if you don't want to see."

I shook my head, there was no way I was leaving Clary alone again, even if it is with Magnus, I'm not letting her out of my sight.

Magnus turned back and pressed the cloth down again, and again she screamed. I bit my lip to stop myself from yelling at Magnus to stop again, and went over next to Clary's side. I pulled up a chair, taking her hand as she whimpered and tears streamed down her face.

"Shhh... Your okay Clary I know it hurts but just be strong...please for me." I said to her in a low tone. She opened her eyes and looked at me, I felt as if all her pain and suffering was laid out for me to see in her emerald green eyes. I tried to give her a reassuring smile but she slammed her eyes closed tight again and clenched my hand as Magnus applied the burning alcohol to another spot on her back. It was killing me to not be able to help her, I stroked the back of her soft clenched hand with my thumb and continued to tell her everything was okay.

After about ten minutes of this Maryse, and Isabelle walked into the infirmary. Their timing couldn't have been worse, because right as they walked in Magnus applied alcohol to a still raw heavily whipped section of Clary's back and she wasn't able to hold back her piercing scream.

Izzy rushed over as her future parabatai lay trembling on the infirmary bed. She looked up at me with tear filled eyes and I gave the same look back to her.

"How much more does she have Magnus?" She asked without taking her eyes off of Clary.

"It shouldn't be much longer now, she's gotten through the worst of it."

I sighed with relief and gently squeezed her hand once to show my support, and to my surprise despite her pain she gave my hand a squeeze back. I couldn't help but smile at our gesture. After what seemed like for ever but turned out to be three more minutes, Magnus finally closed the alcohol bottle.

"Maryse you to need help me examine her other wounds, were going to have to lay her on her back now." Magnus says the last part towards me.

I lean down towards Clary and softly talk to her.

"I need to flip you onto your back now Clary okay? The slashes on your back are free of demon blood, it won't burn you anymore I promise."

She nods slightly in response and in a hoarse whisper says "I trust you."

I scoop her up into my arms and give her a small kiss on the forehead before laying her back down and taking her hand in mine again. Maryse and Magnus went around checking her other wounds as Isabelle talked to Clary encouragingly.

Finally they took a step back and discussed something between each other.

"How bad is she?" I ask because it's killing me not to know.

Maryse sighs and tells us all that they could find:

"She still has her stab wound from the night she was taken, three punctures in her shoulder, her scratched face, two broken ribs, a slightly cracked skull with a major concussion, a broken bone in her foot, her whipped back and a big stab wound going all the way through her thigh."

I felt sick to my stomach at everything that was listed how could I let this to happen to her? Quite the shadowhunter boyfriend I am. I looked back down at Clary and saw that she was staring back at me, waiting for my reaction.

"I'm so sorry." Is all I can say to her.

She gives a small smile and takes my hand in hers

"You have nothing to be sorry for."

I shake my head in protest

"Yes I do if I had just..."

"If you hadn't saved me when you did I might have been dead by tomorrow, or maybe even right now, what should be happening right now is I should be thanking you."

"Thanking me for what this is my fault I..."

"I didn't even want to live anymore Jace, but you saved me, and none of this is your fault, it's not your fault I was taken, or that I had to fight endless demons, or that I have the worst father in the world. Don't say sorry for something you didn't have a part in like a mundane."

A grin broke onto my face, remembering the exact words I said to her about not getting why mundanes apologize for things that they didn't do.

"I love you Jace."

I heard a sniffle and looked up at Isabelle who was now crying for a completely different reason, while smiling at us.

I looked back down at Clary again and of course replied:

"I love you too."

~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!! Long time no update I know, I've had homecomings and sweet sixteens and I have my fall formal coming up, life's just so crazy!! I will try to update at least twice this week, but I plan to have a week over a break or something where I update everyday!

Hope your guys are doing well, comment and vote if you feel like it haha, and see ya guys next update!

~TMILegend