Chapter 19: Bon Appetit

After Luffy had his fit of carrying Nami and running around like a child in a playground, he had started to walk normally, his navigator —  still carried on his back — had fallen asleep, her chin planted comfortably on his shoulder, her arms wrapped around his neck — though, not as tight— her long and beautiful eyelashes fluttering every now and then.

' Cute–No...

Beautiful....' said captain thought to himself.

' Hehe.... Maybe when this is all over, I can finally tell her these things.' he hoped.

Luffy felt Nami shuffling on his back.

".....mmm...." Nami, who still had her eyes closed, was on the verge of awakening, and her dear captain couldn't have been more relieved to have someone to talk to.

She took a better position, before stretching her skinny limbs.

"Ow." Nami winced at her leg when she stretched.

"Careful." Luffy chuckled.

"Shut it." Nami pouted, though didn't stop Luffy from chuckling once more.

Nami looked up and took in the vast blue and white, staring down on the two. She even took a deep breath of fresh air.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Luffy commented.

"Hm?" Nami looked down on Luffy's raven colored hair, and processed his comment for a quick millisecond, before answering. "Oh, yeah."

"....."

"....."

"....."

"....."

An awkward silence fell between the two, and to say that it was, "unbearable", was an understatement. Both didn't really know how to start a conversation, after that short exchanged. Nami was getting restless, and so was Luffy, both couldn't bear another second of this silence.

' Say something!!!!', thought the both of them.

A sudden breeze came from behind the two, and pushed forward the straw hat — that hung onto the navigator's neck, via string — and said straw hat clumsily placed itself onto the navigator's head.

Surprised by the sudden shadow that blocked her vision, on one of her eyes, she grabbed the foreign object by it's rim, and felt it's rough texture. Immediately, she recognized said object.

A straw, from a certain straw hat....

That belongs to a certain captain....

"....Why me?"

Luffy looked back to Nami who had her hand gripped on the rim of the straw hat. Curiosity, hope and sadness, beaming within those brown pupils on her eyes. It was almost melancholic.

Of course said captain would be confused.

"'Why you....?' I don't get it."

Nami bit her bottom lip. "Why do you give me your hat?"

Luffy's eyes widened, and realization struck him. He had never really thought about it.