Too Many Secrets {6}

Chapter Six

          My jaw dropped slightly and I stared at Debby in horror. "What did you just say?" I asked in a trembling voice. Debby looked at me apologetically.

          "She's in lockdown," Debby repeated, "I'm sorry."

          "Why?" I snapped, "What's going on? Why?"

          "She's gotten worse," Debby winced, "And somehow she obtained paper and pencils. If no one's allowed to have that stuff, either is she."

           "You're putting her on lockdown for having art supplies," I growled, slamming my fist on her desk.

          "What she was drawing angered her," Debby shrugged, "We weren't sure what else to do."

          "Let me see her," I answered immediately.

          "Can't do that," Debby shrugged. "Sorry."

          "What?" I snapped, "I'm her sister. He can wait out here. I need to see my sister, like now!"

          "I can't do that," Debby apologized. I leaned forward on the desk, angrier than ever.

          I narrowed my eyes slightly and hissed; "Now you listen here. I want to see my sister, and I want to see her now." Debby's eyes widened and she quickly nodded her hair.

          "That was cute Pumpkin," Warren cooed, putting his arm around my waist. I quickly shrugged him off, and ran a hand through my hair. "What?" Warren asked.

          "Not now, War," I told him, "I don't want you to touch me. I want to see my sister and I want to see her now." Debby nodded again and quickly picked up the phone to make a few phone calls.

          "I've never seen this side of you," Warren commented.

          "That's because you're never around," I snapped. I didn't even look at him while I said it, because I was too busy glaring at Debby. I felt Warren try to snake his arm around my waist again, but I just shook him off. I didn't want him touching me.

          "Right this way Jodie," Debby said meekly.

          "Stay here," I told Warren. He looked at me with shocked eyes, but nodded anyway. I turned around and quickly followed Debby through different hallways then the ones I was used too. She led me to the door at the end of the hallway, with two guards keeping watch. I recognized one of them as Nate.

          Nate was a guard I had gotten to know within the past two years, and he had promised to watch after my sister. I depended on him to watch after her but obviously he wasn't very good at it.

          "Jodie," He started when he saw me.

          "You were supposed to watch out for her," I snapped, "You were supposed to make sure nothing happened to her! What's wrong with you?"

          "Nothing," Nate answered, "I did the best I could. She was freaking out! I couldn't get control over her."

          I stood in front of Nate. He was taller then I was, but anyone could tell I was scarier. I had a lot of stuff to deal with now, and some guard wasn't going to make any difference. "Let me in," I spat.

          Nate looked nervously at the other guard. I roughly grabbed his face and shoved it to look at me. "Nate, seriously, let me in," I ordered. Nate nodded numbly and stepped towards the door. I let his face go and stood in front of the door.

          He opened it for me, and I looked around for my sister.

          Crumbled on the bed, I could hear Annie crying. Maybe it was more of a whimper but either way she was upset. Her unruly hair was hanging over her face, and her thin frail form shivering on the bed. "Anna May," I whispered.

          "GO AWAY!" She screamed, "I don't want to see anyone."

          "Annie, it's me," I mumbled. I grabbed the door from Nate, and quickly shut it behind me. There was some protesting, but it quickly died down, because I'm assuming Nate handled it. "Annie," I repeated.

          Annie's head snapped up and she looked at me with her blue eyes. They were a crystal blue and they looked hollow. It was almost like she wasn't there. "Jodie," She whimpered.

          "Hi," I smiled.

          Annie quickly got off her bed and rushed towards me. I held my arms open wide and Annie hugged me tightly. She buried her face in my neck and continued to whimper. "I'm here," I told her, "Don't worry I'm here."

          "What's going on?" Annie asked into my neck, "What's happening to me?"

          "Hush," I told her, "I'll make it better. Don't worry, I'll make it better."

          "How?" Annie asked. I gently pulled her away from me and led her towards the bed. We sat down on the bed together and I pulled Annie in to another tight hug.

          "Annie, we never talk about what happened when you were kidnapped," I whispered, hesitant to even mention it.

          Anna May quickly pulled away from me and moved into the corner of her bed. She started shivering again. "I...I...I don't remember," She stuttered.

          "You have to remember something," I insisted.

          "No.....no...." Annie moaned, putting her hands on her head and shaking her head.

          "Annie, I'm your sister," I pressed, "You can tell me anything." Annie looked at me hesitantly.

          "Foster sister," She corrected. I couldn't control my eyes starting to fill up.

          "So that's all you think of when you think of me," I cried, "That I'm not your real sister? That you can't trust me because we're not blood related? Annie, I've known you my whole life. You held me as a baby!"

          "That doesn't change," Annie started.

          "How about the times we would stay up all night eating junk food," I sobbed, "Or the times we would pick out cute guys? How about when you would be the first one I went to when I got hurt? What about when you would get in trouble and I would get our parents to let you out of it?"

          "Yeah," Annie muttered.

          "Or how about the time," I whispered, "When you got suspended and I made you ice cream to make you feel better? All those things, you're telling me, didn't make us sisters? Because I'm pretty sure that's as close to having a sister as ever."

          Annie ran both hands through her hair again and rocked back and forth slightly. "You're...You're right," She muttered.

          "Then tell me what's going on," I insisted.

          Annie pulled her legs close to her chest, and looked at me with hollow eyes. She shivered as if she were remembering it. "It was the night I went out with Jen, Felix and Warren..."