One

Evangeline

'Click clack,'

That sound filled the breezy night air as it bounced off any surfaces it could find as it echoed throughout the street. Occasionally a car would pass by, overpowering the sound of Marybeth's heels travelling on the ground. There was distant voices up ahead, all loud, with a faint music being played in the background.

'Click clack, click clack, cli-'

The disappearance of the heels hitting the ground caused me to look up from the old, cracked sidewalk we've been following for the past twenty minutes.

"Evie why don't we go to that bar ahead?"

I looked at my best friend before looking past her to see a bar a couple blocks ahead of us. I could see people loitering outside as they smoked and talked amongst each other.

From our distance I could see the multiple motorcycles parked in the front and cracked window's all over the building.

I bounced from one foot to another, shifting my weight onto one of my Converse shoes before shifting to the other foot.

"Marybeth I thought you said we were just grabbing dinner,"

That's what she had told me once she got home from work. As a lawyer she was always working hard and stressing out about her cases. She had came home from an extremely stressful meeting with one of her clients and immediately begged me to go out to eat with her so she could just let loose.

I should've realized that her not changing out of her nice, classy yet sexy work clothes would mean we weren't going to be dining at our regular Chinese restaurant.

"They probably have food," Marybeth smiled innocently as she ran her fingers through her long blonde hair.

"It looks kind of dangerous," I quietly said, as I examined the bar again.

"Come on, we never go out and in the odd chance that we do we go to the same boring places," She groaned as she walked closer and put her hand on my shoulder.

"They will eat us alive in there," I hissed out.

"That's why I wore my sexiest set. I know you're new to living on the wild side but I have had a long day surrounded by men who are so safe that I want to scream. I want to get laid by a big tough man that makes me feel alive," Marybeth explained causing me to blush a bit.

Marybeth and I met when I first moved to the city. I was in desperate need of a place to stay and she needed a roommate to split the rent on. I saw an ad posting and we set up a meeting and we just clicked. It's been 3 years since I've moved in and I will never get used to how confident and open she is. She said what was on her mind and did what she wanted to do.

I was the opposite.

I had grown up being raised by my father and two older brothers. My mom had sadly passed away with cancer when I was three years old so I don't remember much of her. My brothers were twelve and nine when we lost her so they were lucky to have more memories of her. I was always babied growing up, my dad always wanted to keep me innocent and away from all evil so he and my brothers all made sure that was what would happen. I never got to go to high school parties or wear clothing that I would get in trouble for. I wasn't allowed to date boys at all, even in high school. When I moved here I never thought about trying to date because I had no clue what to do in those situations.